Our partner

Hi I am desperately looking for answers...

Conversion Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Hi I am desperately looking for answers...

Postby larwall5 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:28 am

About 10 years ago when I was 13 I saw something happen that made me so sick to my stomach I wasn't able to think about anything else for months ... but about 2 weeks after the incident I had some visual change happen along with a weird feeling in my head. It resembled dreaming in a way but not entirely... just really weird and uncomfertable. The thoughts about what happened went away after a month or 2 but the thing that happened to me that fallowed all of that never went away ... not even for a second. It has been with me for over 10 years now and I never found out what it was so I just learned to live with it but I was determined to figure it out one day. Then just about a year ago I started having breathing problems and I noticed that around this time I started feeling more of the feeling every now and then but I just blew it off as my imagination, untill after a while my breathing got so bad that I would hyperventilate untill my entire body went numb and I couldn't walk because of my blood gases were all over the place. This hyperventilation went on for a week before the hospital finally took me seriously after 4 admissions all in the same week. They ran tests but never found anything except acid reflux and H pylori. which neither were the problem because I occasionally still have trouble breathing... (I also have kryptic tonsilitis from smoking) But as soon as I got discharged the "conversion thing" got SO much worse. The visual change got even worse ... it was accompanied by a feeling of foggyness that you might get after being on pain killers or something (like a drugged feeling) when it came on it made me blink my eyes rapidly. I been to a neurologist and had multiple MRI's a CT scan a EEG a BAER a lumba puncture and a PET scan and none of them showed anything wrong at all and I have been on klonopin, xanax, welbutrin, effexor, risperdol, and flouxitine and none of them made any difference... so I went to a Neuropsychiatrist and he mentioned the conversion reaction. I searched all over the internet but noone has the same type of symptoms nor has anyone had their symptoms be a 24/7 perminent experience. I need to find a way to fix this. It is making my life so horrible. Every day I struggle, and I just hate my life. Can anyone else relate to problems like this? Weird drug like feelings? Or anything like that? I would love to hear opinions from everyone and anyone.
larwall5
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey,

I can't relate to the problem but I have an idea as to what might be causing it: It could be an allergic reaction to something that is, at this point, unknown. Try to rememer if there are any things that you do - or places that you go to - each day where the symptoms become stronger. Try to find a link, if any, with your diet too. There must be a connection somewhere.

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:42 am

Re: Hi I am desperately looking for answers...

Postby waterhole » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:05 pm

Yes larwell I had a very very similiar experience to you, my breathing was what i remember triggered my symptoms, which are exactly like yours and also my symptoms never leave me which has been 10 years now, although they have improved a lot it has been hell though but there is always hope and im sure im getting the better of it. Maybe we suffered something like the bends from overbreathing or something happened to our diaphragm muscles from breathing too hard its difficult to find out as everything unexplained gets lumped into conversion disorder. I still have trouble gaining a breath yawning and my headache and dystonia is a constant even my eyes are affected. As for my own treatment ive tried many drugs eg respiridol , lexapro and other anti depressants, valium etc but i discontinued all these as useless.. I find personally that long yoga sessions eg just spending as much time as i need to hold postures even though it is tiring and difficult for me it really can fix your diaphragm breathing but it took me a year of doing it before my back and spine cracked and opened up my diaphragm and neck problems but can feel it really healing some of my problem.....one other thing is going to sound controversial but marijuana helped me a lot too... out of serendipity i tried some just over a year ago and it really helped with my symptoms ...life has been so hard with this problem it is unrelenting and seized up my breathing and muscles.

Keep hope it will heal just do the best you can!! I was happy i read your post because i have a certain symptom set within conversion disorder that i havnt seen often but you are the same as me so im glad to know that we sufferered a similiar system breakdown. let me know how you healed it if you do...ill do same.... as far as now i still struggle with getting well again
waterhole
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:42 pm

Return to Conversion Disorder Forum