Our partner

All in my head? Treated like a nutjob

Conversion Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

All in my head? Treated like a nutjob

Postby ensorcel1 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:57 pm

I won't get into the great long story or anything but basically I went from parathesia in my legs to complete paralysis in a week. The mri shows no problems with my spine and my blood work is normal (electrolytes, potassium, thyroid function, glucose, vitb12)

No other tests have been done.

I'm in agony. Mostly my legs. Probably because I can't move them out of an uncomfortable position. I can't pee and I've been constipated for 3 weeks.

They admitted me to the neurology floor at the hospital. They're throwing around the term "functional movement disorder" and have been out right rude about it. They're calling in a psychatrist which I see tomorrow

They keep asking me for "stressors". Nothing! I've been in remission from depression and anxiety for two years and munchausens for one. (I am not making this up. This is very real and terrifying) I was thinking about going back to work and am in a very happy relationship. This is the best ice been I'm YEARS. And now all of a sudden I'm paralysed?

I'm posting here because I cannot accept that this is " in my head". The first neuro I saw, who diagnosed it, said.it is very real and debilitating. The second neuro ordered the mri and thinks something else may be going on. The resident treats me like a nutjob. The orthopaedic surgeon also thinks I'm crazy.

I see another neuro tomorrow and maybe psychiatry. Potentially start physical therapy.

I feel like a fin nutcase. I'm tired of being the mental patient. This is not in my head. It's very very real. I can't move, or pee, or move my bowels. I can't help myself and rely on the nurses for even the most basic things. It's humiliating. SSometimes I get a nurse who doesn't make me feel like a nutjob and doesn't dehumanise me. But most of them treat me horrible.

I don't know what to do. There are so many physical medical organic things that can be wrong. But they won't even bother looking for them!
ensorcel1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: All in my head? Treated like a nutjob

Postby ensorcel1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:09 am

Oh. I forgot to mention. They won't even treat my pain. Not so much as a Tylenol. They say its "all in my head" and therefore untreatable.
ensorcel1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: All in my head? Treated like a nutjob

Postby Akuma » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:58 am

ensorcel1 wrote:Oh. I forgot to mention. They won't even treat my pain. Not so much as a Tylenol. They say its "all in my head" and therefore untreatable.

Well if you are paralyzed then obviously its not only in your head. Saying that pain cant be treated because its psychosomatic is bollocks, too. There are conversion disorder types that cause paralysis though, so a psychogenic cause of your paralysis is possible. That you have been feeling better isnt necessarily a counterargument, many psychogenic / psychosomatic illnesses show up with a delay so that makes them harder to diagnose and treat, its also possible that you are exactly feeling better because a certain aspect of the mental energy so to speak is now creating physical symptoms. I'd keep an open mind and try to look for professionals who specialize in both the physiological and the psychogenic department. And try to be not too mad at doctors, most of them have a hard time diagnosing a flu correctly not to speak of conversion ;).
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Conversion Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post