Our partner

I am at a loss!!!! PLEASE HELP ME! PLEASE

Conversion Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I am at a loss!!!! PLEASE HELP ME! PLEASE

Postby TaZMommy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:09 pm

I was just diagnosed yesterday after having Sotoseizures for 13 years now & then Dec 5th, 2014 I got sick & couldn't talk right now I stutter, my arms swing, my head turns to the right, my mouth twitches, I hurt from head to toe. PT & speech therapist say its cause I am so tense all the time...I feel like now I am just "Crazy" when the doctor said yesterday (1st time I've seen her, Neurologist) said it is Psychiatric I lost it all I can do is Cry!!!! I begged my husband to leave me after 18 years he don't deserves this a Crazy Woman. Naturally he wouldn't & I am kinda glad but I am scared to death!!!! Any suggestions??? How can I hurt & stutter & flail my arms uncontrollably for 6 mos & this be all in my head??? Seizures for 13 years now all this!!!! I am at a loss!!!! PLEASE HELP ME! PLEASE
TaZMommy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I am at a loss!!!! PLEASE HELP ME! PLEASE

Postby timecontrol » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:19 am

I don't know how anyone here can specifically help you. We can offer support. Many times people will psycho-somaticize emotional conflicts. Have you ever read "Studies in Hysteria" by Freud? Intra-psychic conflicts can often be expressed somatically. If you are in conflict enough with certain material it can be expressed symbolically through conversion symptoms. I have some myself. Nothing as dramatic as you though. There is no need to think you are crazy. It is just one of the mysteries of the mind. It is almost related to suggestion I think. If a conflict or memory is too difficult for us then the unconscious will try to find a way to symbolize it to avoid as much conflict within the psyche as possible. You may have what used to be called " Conversion Hysteria".Frued came to the conclusion that hysterics suffer mainly from "reminiscences" or more simply memories they have repressed or can't deal with... You might want to read what Freud said about this. He has been slandered by modern academics, but the evolutionary biologists and psychologists are taking a second look at him and think he had a lot of things right. Certainly not all. I have this huge book called "The Psychoanalytic Theory of Neurosis" by Otto Fenischel. It is a cool book and a great reference for old school psycho analytic psychology and Freud. I have nothing against modern psychiatry and think it has a lot to offer. But the psychoanalysts surprisingly had a lot of good things to offer too. You might be surprised...

What do you mean when you say you are "at a loss"? You want your husband to leave you? Could your symptoms be related to your husband? Maybe you want him to leave and these symptoms are an unconscious way for you to ask him so you do not to feel guilty or conflicted? Help me understand what kind of help you are looking for....
timecontrol
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:10 am

Postby TaZMommy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:48 pm

No I Love My Husband! We have been together for so long & we don't argue, fight or anything we are ACTUALLY Happy! I just feel I am not good enough any longer for him, I don't want him to suffer because of this...I just felt like the doc was saying she's crazy! Like I said I was so glad he said no he's not going any wheres he married me for better or for worse, sickness & in health till death do us part!!! He's Amazing with all this going on it's me, I am so scared. I've had 5 heart attacks tons of stents, open heart surgery, hysterectomy so many other things & she made me wonder was all that just in my head????? Did I give up the chance of having children (which is all I ever wanted & 5 miscarriages) I just feel she was saying I'm CRAZY!!! And how do I know when I'm sick is it all in my head or is it real? I feel so ashamed, like a failure at life.......I don't want to feel this but I don't know how to feel. It's like she just deflated my whole world when she said your not sick it's all in your head, I guess I just don't understand :(
TaZMommy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby timecontrol » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:24 pm

Ok, so you were trying to be good to your husband and offering to let him move on if this was too tough for him. Right? Ok, well that was kind of you. But he likes you anyway. Wow it sounds like two very fine people to me that really care about each other..

As far as the Doctor goes. Hey it's only one opinion. I have a natural distrust for authority and always question what they say ad their competence. You are giving this doctor way too much power! Just because that's her opinion doesn't mean it's true.

People with psycho somatic problems are not "crazy" they have just symbolized an emotional conflict through the body. There are other ways that the mind influences the body too. It is a fairly common thing I think. I have a sense of numbness at times around my check bones. I don't have any bone or nerve damage there, but it was where I was often hit as a child. I don't remember a lot of the things that happened, but in a sense the body "remembers" through somaticizing the memory or internal conflict. t used to be called "conversion hysteria" as I mentioned. If you read the old psycho analytic books some of the stuff that is in those case histories is fascinating. Really unusual symptoms. But it is all part of the human experience and many have gone there before you or I. The mind is a very mysterious and fascinating thing.

Also I think you are a victim of the old stigma that having emotional problems makes you "crazy" or inferior. It simply isn't true. People fear what they don't understand so they put it down or attack. Also you are thinking in out dated ways. You are subscribing to the Cartesian dualism model. It says that the body and the mind are separate. There is no body/mind split. Body ad mind are one. So an unhealthy body will manifest in an unhealthy mind to some degree and the opposite is true. So PLEASE do no give up your power to experts so readily. Half of them are incompetent or misinformed.

How will you know if your illness I real? All your illness is real. Mental illness and physical illness are related and intertwined. Both are real. Psychosomatic illness is no less real than a broken leg. It just has it's origins in the mind, but the body is affected too.

I am very sorry to hear about all your misfortune. I don't know what to say. Genetics and stress and many factors were probably at work. You have certainly suffered and I am sorry to hear it.

But there is no such thing as an illness that isn't real. They are either somatically based or psychologically based. But the two are really one as I said. Who is to say which is real and which is not. Some people lose a limb and can still feel pain in that limb afterwards. From a physical point of view that is impossible, but from a psychological point of view it is as real to that person as when they had the limb.They are both real I believe. It just comes down to how you define real. If real is limited to the physical then I guess that pain isn't real. The Cartesian model has undermined our understanding of this reality.

Hope this helped.
timecontrol
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby TaZMommy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:03 am

Dear timecontrol I did purchase the book you suggested. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me it has helped me tremendously!!! I have started reading it allready. I will still continues to come to this site daily to learn more from y'all!!! Thanks again
TaZMommy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby timecontrol » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Taz,

Hey you know what I'm impressed that you bought that book. It is awesome and it sums up all the psychoanalytic stuff before Object Relations Theory, Ego psychology and Kohut and Kernberg. Freud really is the early origins of objects relation theory but the Melanie Klein stuff is pretty good too about IntroJects and projections an object relations. it's really cool stuff. I'm aN extremely diligent researcher And I find the stuff I believe in what works in real life What really works. I do have an enormous enormous storehouse of wisdom I must say young lady I am very impressed you bought that book that shows me commitment. OK if you want wisdom Baby I got it.
timecontrol
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Conversion Disorder Forum