Our partner

looking for alternative treatments for 12 year old daughter

Conversion Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

looking for alternative treatments for 12 year old daughter

Postby lucyna » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:18 pm

I have a problem with my 12 year old daughter. She was misdiagnosed with epilepsy for 2 years and now is diagnosed with conversion disorder. We have tried CBT, physical therapy, acupuncture, she has tried Reiki.

Unfortunately non of these have helped her symptoms. She gets seizure like fits during the day, which get much worse at night, leaver her unable to sleep.

If anyone has any advice about anything that we can try or anyone that we can turn to for help, please let us know!

Thank you,

Lucy
lucyna
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: looking for alternative treatments for 12 year old daugh

Postby fiftysix » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 pm

I can only advise you not to waste any of your money on any kind of alternative therapy. I mean these things do not even make sense, let alone work.

Sometimes people get better and it is timed with this sort of treatment. But the thing is usually the cure has nothing to do with the actual treatment given. The problem would have gone away by itself in time, or it is a placebo effect and explanations of that kind - these are more likely. Not only more likely but the only possible explanations.

Reiki and such cannot actually work.

Sorry i can't help you more with the condition your daughter actually has. I am sure the best places to keep on seeking treatment are with her doctors.

She is quite young for it, but i wonder if mindfulness meditation training might have any effect? Mindfulness is not based on mysterious energies. It is simply a mindtraining practice. It has been shown in clincial studies to develop the brain in certain key areas - learning, emotion regulation and attentiveness. I don't know if these things could make any difference to your daughters actual condition but even if they didn't, the training is good for you.

You could both do a course together and both benefit. You could do an MBSR course ( mindfulness based stress reduction) or you could go along an learn it from some buddhists. However, under the circumstances, i would think that at least getting the basic training down with a therapist might be the best approach and then she can go along for weekly practice at a buddhist centre if it helps her keep her practice going better.

i've got to say its not easy for an adult to keep a regular practice going so it might be even harder for a younger person.

Still its a thought. Check out the secular buddhist website. They are big on MBSR over there. Look out for Mark Knicklebine who leads the online meditations. He may be able to point in you in the right direction to find a good teacher/course/therapist.
fiftysix
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:03 pm

Postby brevin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:53 pm

I have a 16 yr old daughter with Conversion Disorder so I know exactly how you are feeling! She was diagnosed one year ago where she was having daily seizures. Hers does not happen at night, only at school which is really frustrating her! She has gone to weekly therapy sessions with a therapist she really trusts (that's the key!) who believes in not only the traditional "talk" therapy but bringing in eastern medicine of mindful meditation, yoga and other techniques. She did go to acupuncture for awhile and that really did help her. She was seizure free for about 5 months but unfortunately, she has recently had 2 more. It always intensifies when school starts and around the anniversary of a sexual assault. We plan to start going back to acupuncture and also re-starting an anti-depression medicine.

My advise is to follow your gut and do what YOU think is best for your daughter. What works for one person isn't going to work for another and vise-versa. It's a long journey for both of you but keep trusting your daughter will improve and don't listen to people who say "it's all in her head." We have had many of those people in our lives and needless to say, they are no longer involved with us.
brevin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Postby trish1234 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi firstly im sorry to hear your 12year old daughter has recieved thid diagnosis shes so young im 34 and find it hard to get my head around this diagnosis so i can hardly imagine how difficult it must be for a child.its beenover a year since i recieved thid diagnosis and its been a tough one,i can tell you the symptoms are completely real and your daughter definately has no controll what so ever over them, thats the bad news but i can tell you there are ways for her to get her quality of life back, theres ways of managing this.ive done cbt it done nothing forthe symptoms but it did help me to deal a bit better with what was happening.i do take low dose anti depressant meds now and they help with my mood mentally i feel great now but i did need them when your dealing with this disorder it can play havock on your mental health.I attend a psychologist weekly for one hour and i find that great i guess im learning to live with this disorder, im finding unfortunately theres no magic pill or quick fix but there are things that help diet exercise relaxation talking learning to accept im not the same as i used to be and accepting it( believe me reluctingly at first),i also find rest is extremely important my symptoms worsen when i dont rest(sleep for 2hours every day) not out of lasyiness but out of necessaty.Im not trying to simpilify this in any way just wanted to share with you what helps me somewhat.
trish1234
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:03 pm

Return to Conversion Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post