Our partner

to steal and lie

Conduct Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

to steal and lie

Postby lola » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:40 am

Hi,
One person pretty close to me,show this behaviour: He is 20 years old and he is a college student. He live with her mother and his three siblings. From two years ago, his family have found that he steal money from all the people in his house in many opportunities and he don't recognize his mistake...he deny vehemently this situation...if anyone don't know him..it is posible that believe what he said. At this time....we are worry about the situation and we consider this is a mental illness. He never had recognized that he is guilty even when we have convincing proofs. He has opened safe box..safe bags...has duplicated keys of the car and the Safe box. He vehemently deny what he do...he cry...he fight..but never recognize....We are really worry about the situation....What can we do...please... We need help.
lola
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 08, 2021 2:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:50 pm

Compulsive stealing is called 'kleptomania'. You should look at the symptoms of that and see if they describe him.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby radames » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:31 pm

Try to set it up so that he is caught red-handed. Make it so that it is undeniable. Perhaps proof will help him realize he needs help. My thoughts.
Knowing me a bit more every day!
radames
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby lola » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Chucky wrote:Compulsive stealing is called 'kleptomania'. You should look at the symptoms of that and see if they describe him.

Thank you very much....I am going to look up about that. I already knew that term..but maybe because of..I am talking about my family I didn't realize that this could be the problem.
lola
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby lola » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:17 pm

radames wrote:Try to set it up so that he is caught red-handed. Make it so that it is undeniable. Perhaps proof will help him realize he needs help. My thoughts.

thank you for your help...that would be the best point maybe.
lola
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: to steal and lie

Postby Alannah-Natalie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:37 pm

Key factots held in Conduct Disorder:
- anti-social behaviour (aka: stealing, lying, cheating, drugs, violence)
- it 100% stems from ADHD (and sometimes paired with ODD) in childhood
- a HUGE thing for kids with this disorder is that they DO NOT feel guilty for things they do. It's almost as if they don't know the difference between right and wrong, and they don't really care.
- punishment never works with them-- they do not learn by being punished
- they are also very manipulative

I'm a Psychology student and had to do a presentation on this disorder as a final grade so I researched a fair amount. I am also convinced my brother has this disorder.. but my mom refuses to get him diagnosed as she sees it as a "label" more then a helpful contribution. makes sense i guess.
Alannah-Natalie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 08, 2021 6:36 am

Postby Ettina » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Key factots held in Conduct Disorder:
- anti-social behaviour (aka: stealing, lying, cheating, drugs, violence)
- it 100% stems from ADHD (and sometimes paired with ODD) in childhood
- a HUGE thing for kids with this disorder is that they DO NOT feel guilty for things they do. It's almost as if they don't know the difference between right and wrong, and they don't really care.
- punishment never works with them-- they do not learn by being punished
- they are also very manipulative

Several of those are incorrect.

Firstly, while there is a strong correlation between ADHD and CD, not all kids with CD have ADHD (or vice versa). Roughly 90% of kids with CD have ADHD, which still leaves 10% who have CD and not ADHD.

Secondly, guiltlessness, lack of response to punishment and to some extent manipulativeness are characteristics of a subgroup of CD kids with 'callous-unemotional' (CU) traits (a precurser to psychopathy). Depending on definition and sample ascertainment (CD+CU kids have more severe problems than CD without CU), this subgroup ranges from 11-50% of CD kids.

Kids with CD but not CU traits are a mixed bunch of kids - most of them do feel guilty to some extent, they may or may not respond to punishment, and they may or may not be manipulative. For example, there's a subgroup of kids who have CD secondary to depression, and like most depressed kids, they feel excessive guilt rather than having a lack of guilt. (Incidentally, in this subgroup, anti-depressants are an effective treatment for CD as well as depression.)
Ettina
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Prem » Fri May 17, 2013 5:00 am

Is this called "kleptomania"? I have heard about it a lot but never seen a person around. Ask him to take proper medication.
Prem
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby MrGamma » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:18 pm

They don't understand how to accomplish what they want through any other means available to them.

There are instances where they might blame the world, and decide to steal back from it, or blame their mother, and steal from their mother in an act of vengeance.

They may feel they are worth more than what they have been granted or provided, or earned, especially with television programming like the lifestyle of the rich and famous, and so on...

Lying about it, common sense, telling the truth about taking money means they'd have to own up, be responsible and potentially pay it back. It might be seen as a cowardly act.

There are many reasons. Getting them to accept responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming others for their predicaments is another thing all together. Confrontation or calling them out, as you can tell will not work. Shame and guilt might. Unsure...
"I feel a pathological envy for anyone with such a big brain" - Big Bird
MrGamma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Conduct Disorder Forum