Our partner

US MILITARY ACTIVE, VETS, FAMILY MBRS HELP INFO

Open Discussions about Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

US MILITARY ACTIVE, VETS, FAMILY MBRS HELP INFO

Postby Koshka69 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:15 am

Hi all!
Re-posting this in the various forums to make the info more visible.

-Koshka

US MILTARY ACTIVE DUTY, VETERANS, FAMILY MEMBERS

I'm a retired vet and wanted my fellow vets, military, and military family members out there to have some information to get help from the Veterans Administration (VA).

***ACTIVE DUTY AND FAMILY MEMBERS, PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS RESOURCE IS AVAILABLE TO VETS AND YOU!!

The website listed below is a FABULOUS resource if you are in need of help ANYTIME DAY OR NIGHT, 365 DAYS A YEAR. The website offers a TOLL FREE CRISIS PHONE LINE, a CHAT TOOL, and FACILITY LOCATOR. Links to the chat tool and facility locator are on the right side of the webpage. This is a great resource and is offered for military and former military and their families and many of the staff are former military as well. For your information, I have cut and pasted information from the website so you can read it right here (the phone number, about the Crisis Center, and Frequently Asked Questions).

((((Hugs from me, and may you all find this information helpful))))
-Koshka

Below is a link to the Veterans Administration Crisis Hotline Website and information from the site:

http://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

The Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline and online chat. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 or chat online to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

About the Veterans Crisis Line:
The caring professionals at the Veterans Crisis Line are specially trained and experienced in helping Veterans of all ages and circumstances. Many of the responders are Veterans themselves and understand what Veterans and their families and friends have been through and the challenges Veterans of all ages and service eras face. Since its launch in 2007, the Veterans Crisis Line has answered more than 400,000 calls and made more than 14,000 life-saving rescues. In 2009, the Veterans Crisis Line added an anonymous online chat service, which has helped more than 4,000 people. In 2011, the National Veterans Suicide Prevention Hotline was renamed the Veterans Crisis Line to encourage Veterans and their families and friends to make the call. People who know a Veteran best may be the first to recognize emotional distress and reach out for support when issues reach a crisis point—and well before a Veteran is at risk of suicide.

To make sure all Veterans and their loved ones are aware of the Veterans Crisis Line, VA is coordinating with communities and partners nationwide to let Veterans and their loved ones know that support is available whenever, if ever, they need it.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

1. Who can use the Veterans Crisis Line and online chat?
Any Veteran or Service member of the U.S. military who is in crisis, or any person concerned about one, may call the confidential Veterans Crisis Line or use the online chat.

2. Can I call the Veterans Crisis Line or use the online chat if I am not registered with VA or enrolled in VA health care?
Yes. Any Veteran can use the Veterans Crisis Line, even if you are not registered with VA or enrolled in VA health care and regardless of your discharge status.

3. How do I know when I should call the Veterans Crisis Line or use the online chat?
You should call the Veterans Crisis Line or log on to the online chat if you are a Veteran or know a Veteran who is experiencing an emotional crisis—especially when you are concerned about risk of physical harm. Please call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 immediately if you or a Veteran you know is experiencing any of the following warning signs:

o Hopelessness; feeling like there’s no way out
o Anxiety, agitation, sleeplessness, mood swings
o Feeling like there is no reason to live
o Rage or anger
o Engaging in risky activities without thinking
o Increasing alcohol or drug abuse
o Withdrawing from family and friends

The presence of the following signs requires immediate attention:
o Thinking about hurting or killing yourself
o Looking for ways to kill yourself
o Talking about death, dying, or suicide
o Self-destructive behavior such as drug abuse, weapons, etc.

Even if you or a Veteran you know is not in immediate danger, the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. Crisis feels different for everybody and can stem from a wide range of situations. Some Veterans are coping with aging, stress, relationship problems, financial or legal issues, or lingering effects stemming from their military service, which were never addressed. Many recent Veterans have difficulty with their relationships or the transition back to civilian life. If you are a Veteran or know a Veteran who is experiencing any of the above signs, call the Veterans Crisis Line immediately or log on to the online chat.

Whatever’s got you down—chronic pain, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, anger, or even homelessness—a Veterans Crisis Line responder can provide support, day or night.

4. How do I use the Veterans Crisis Line or online chat?
can connect with the Veterans Crisis Line by phone or on the Internet. Simply call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 to be immediately connected with a trained VA responder. You can also go to http://www.VeteransCrisisLine.net/chat to receive support anonymously online.

5. Why do I need to Press 1 if I call the Veterans Crisis Line?
The Veterans Crisis Line is operated through a partnership between VA and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. By dialing 1-800-273-8255 and pressing 1, you will be immediately connected to a VA professional who is specially trained to handle any crisis. VA responders are also able to provide referrals to local VA facilities and aid Veterans in getting @!@@@! mental health care within VA.

6. What happens if I don’t Press 1?
If you do not press 1 after dialing 1-800-273-8255, your call is routed to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline’s network of more than 140 crisis centers nationwide. Trained counselors answer calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at the crisis center that is geographically closest to the call.

7. Is there a cost to call the Veterans Crisis Line or use the online chat?
No. Both the phone number and online chat are free services for Veterans and anyone concerned about a Veteran.

8. Who answers my call to the Veterans Crisis Line or responds to my online chats?
VA crisis responders answer calls and chats to the Veterans Crisis Line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Some responders are Veterans and all responders are trained to counsel Veterans specifically. If all the VA responders are busy talking to other callers, the call is routed to counselors at a back-up center in the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, who are also trained to support Veterans.

9. Can I contact the Veterans Crisis Line even if I am already receiving care from VA or another health care professional?
Yes. If you prefer, a Veterans Crisis Line responder can help coordinate care with your current health care providers.

10. What happens when I call the Veterans Crisis Line or use the online chat?
When you call the Veterans Crisis Line or use the online chat, you will receive direct, immediate support from a trained VA responder. Responders are here to listen to you and they care about what you have to say. They will work with you to provide support and may ask basic questions about your location to determine the best course of action. Responders can provide referrals for VA services and help fast-track appointments with a VA Suicide Prevention Coordinator.

11. What happens after I call the Veterans Crisis Line or use the online chat?
After your conversation, the VA responder can put you in contact with a VA Suicide Prevention Coordinator or other health provider in your area. If you want to meet with your local Coordinator or a community-based counselor, the Veterans Crisis Line responder will ask a few questions, including where you live and if you are able to travel to a VA medical facility. If you decide to meet with your Suicide Prevention Coordinator, you will receive a follow-up call to schedule an appointment.

12. Do I have to give my name or share personal information when I contact the Veterans Crisis Line?
No. It is your choice whether or not to share personal information. However, if you decide to get support from a VA Suicide Prevention Coordinator, the Veterans Crisis Line responder may ask for your name and some personal information to help set up a meeting.

13. If I do share personal information when I contact the Veterans Crisis Line, will it be kept confidential?
Yes. Information you provide will be not be shared unless you give a responder permission to share it or indicate that you would like to receive care after the call or chat session.

14. Is the Veterans Crisis Line online chat secure? Can someone see or use my information without my permission when I’m using it?
The Veterans Crisis Line online chat service is secure and only the VA responder will be able to see your information while you are in a chat session.

15. What should I do if I have trouble connecting when I call or use the online chat?
If you have trouble connecting with the Veterans Crisis Line, please check your phone or Internet connection. If you are in a medical emergency or suicidal crisis and cannot connect, please call 911.

16. Should I contact the Veterans Crisis Line for general questions about VA benefits?
No. For information about health care benefits, please call VA’s toll-free benefits number at 1-877-222-VETS 1-877-222-VETS (8387). For more information about VA benefits and to access a list of VA’s toll-free benefits phone numbers, please go to http://www.va.gov/%20landing2_contact.htm.

17. Why should I enroll for VA health care benefits?
Veterans should enroll for health care benefits to ensure they receive the comprehensive benefits package offered through VA’s national health care system. VA offers comprehensive medical care, including any necessary medical outpatient and inpatient services. Veterans can apply for VA health care enrollment by completing VA Form 10-10EZ, which takes about 15 minutes. VA will then process the online or mail-in application. The 10-10EZ can be obtained by visiting, calling, or writing to any VA health care facility or Veterans benefits office. Please visit the Resource Locator at http://www.VeteransCrisisLine.net/gethe ... rcelocator to find the facility nearest you.
Veterans can also call toll-free 1-877-222-VETS(8387) or access the form on the Internet at http://www.va.gov (click on online applications). Veterans can receive only emergency services until their enrollment is processed.

18. What mental health resources are available from VA?
Mental health services are available at 132 medical centers as well as mental health outpatient services in 689 medical centers and community-based outpatient clinics. In addition, VA offers readjustment counseling services for Veterans and their families at 209 Vet Centers across the nation. Veterans with a serious mental illness are seen at facilities and clinics where specialized programs such as mental health intensive case management, day centers, work programs, and psychosocial rehabilitation are provided. Please visit the Resource Locator on http://www.VeteransCrisisLine.net/gethelp/resourcelocator to find the facility nearest you.
For information about post traumatic stress disorder and VA services and benefits pertaining to PTSD, please visit the National Center for PTSD website at http://www.ptsd.va.gov.

19. What is the connection between the Veterans Crisis Line and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline?
In 2007, the Veterans Crisis Line was established as a partnership between VA, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. In 2009, VA added an online chat option to the Veterans Crisis Line.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
Koshka69
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:50 am
Blog: View Blog (26)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder