Our partner

PTSD & SSI/SSDI or VA Disability

Open Discussions about Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

PTSD & SSI/SSDI or VA Disability

Postby Tammie2412 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:31 am

I have a close friend who has a DEFINATE case of PTSD; he served in (combat) in Vietnam until he was sent home after a very traumatic & serious attack by a tiger!! Fortunatly, another soldier was able to shoot the tiger & it eventually dropped my friend & ran back into the jungle. He had head injuries & almost lost an arm. He has spent the last 40 years having trouble keeping jobs &/or relationships, having flashbacks, dreams, as well as other symptoms of PTSD. He is now looking into submitting a claim to SSI/SSDI. Does anyone know if he stands a chance of receiving disability for PTSD? He is also thinking of trying for VA disability & benefits, but would first need to get his discharge upgraded. He has a discharge of 'other than honorable'. As he went AWOL a few times when returning to duty since he could not cope with life back in the states (rather than "hunting humans" in Vietnam as he says) due to the PTSD. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Tammie2412
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: PTSD & SSI/SSDI or VA Disability

Postby jasmin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi, Tammie! Does he have good doctors who want to help him? I've heard about people getting Disability for PTSD, even though it can be difficult.. There is medication that might help with his nightmares and flashbacks, he should ask his doctor about it if he hasn't done so already. Hopefully someone will be able to give you more advice, feel free to keep posting and asking questions.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:34 am

Postby PTSD_Vet » Fri May 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Hello,

I know this thread is a little old but i just joined and hope this information can be of some use.

First off i want to declare that my knowledge on these subjects is very limited so any information i offer is solely from my own experience. I'm a disabled Iraq vet that is service connected through the VA.

Ok so first off I want to address the question about his discharge and the VA. i don't know for sure that he can put in a claim for PTSD but I do know he can at least start receiving medical attention from the VA (For combat related trauma):

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/pubs/OtherThanHonorable/

As far as SSDI or VA Disability its possible to receive both. SSDI is an insurance you pay into and VA is something that a person has earned from their service. IF he is having that hard of a time he should probably be applying for both. SSDI takes a while to process and something like 70% or 80% are disapproved the first time around. So expect to jump through hoops and have to o it twice. IF he starts therapy at the VA he will be able to submit his medical records to SS which will make his claim hold a lot more water. If he was to choose one to focus on I personally would choose going to the VA first. He will most likely get therapy as well as be able to put in a claim and he can have a VSO represent him. Hope this is of some assistance for you and him. I'm currently in the process for SSDI. Also if he chooses to work and feels that his symptoms have a major impact on his current job skills he could be eligible for the VA's workers comp after he receives a rating for PTSD.

-Jason
PTSD_Vet
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Tammie2412 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:58 am

Jason,
Thanks so much for your info!! If you're still around! For some reason, I was never notified by email that I had any replies to my post. Therefore, as you can see. I haven't checked in in like forever. First off, let me wish you luck with your SSI/SSDI. I know it's a long, involved process. My friend has applied & was unfortunately turned down (which I understand is very common the 1st time you apply). He now has an attorney handling his claim. As for medical help from the VA, he is not eligible due to a dishonorable discharge. See my original post for some of the details. But basically due to combat & being attacked (pretty severely) by a Tiger in Vietnam, he came home pretty screwed up & went AWOL a few times. He is therefore not eligible for any VA benefits. So he has no Dr right now.he was diagnosed many, many years ago with PTSD. I'm sure therapy & medication would be very helpful to him. However, lack of insurance & funds make that impossible at present. Again, thank you for the info & good luck with your claim!

-- Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:04 am --

Just followed your link, haven't read yet... Just skimmed. But I think his discharge may be "conditions other than honorable" & not "dishonorable" so this could be a HUGE help!! I'm off to call him & research this further. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :-)
Tammie2412
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:34 am

Postby jasmin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:32 am

Hey, Tammie, how is everything? Maybe there are charities that might offer free therapy too.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post