Our partner

Do Soldiers with PTSD Deserve Purple Hearts?

Open Discussions about Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Do Soldiers with PTSD Deserve Purple Hearts?

Postby MIWatch » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:31 am

The Pentagon has decided that PTSD is not worthy of a Purple Heart, saying it was not intentionally caused by an "outside force or agent."
What do you think?
MIWatch
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:12 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 pm

They should definitely be worthy of a purple heart.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Postby Incorrigible » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:36 pm

Nah, too many people would fake having PTSD to get the heart. It would bring the value of it down. Guys would want one just to impress the girls back home.
Incorrigible
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:24 pm

Incorrigible wrote:Nah, too many people would fake having PTSD to get the heart. It would bring the value of it down. Guys would want one just to impress the girls back home.

I don't think they'd pretend to have it to impress chicks.

I think if solider gets ptsd deserves the purple heart, why not.
They'd have to be diagnosed with it.

You can't really fake ptsd...
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Incorrigible » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:51 pm

They wouldn't pretend to have PTSD to impress a chick. They would pretend to have it to get the medal. Then make up a cool ass story to impress the chicks about how they were injured saving 10 of their buddies from a sniper or some $#%^. They could even show her the scar they got from the skateboarding accident they had when they were ten.

Hard to fake PTSD? People can fake anything. Look at all those malingering people.
Incorrigible
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:33 pm

I don't think all soilders are like that though... I Think a lot of them will be coming back with PTSD, there's a lot of stuff they will be seeing that we only heard about.

You don't impress a chick etc by saying they have PTSD ....

I think people are bound to fake other things before they fake this though.

Yes they can fake anything, but I think there'd be other things they'd fake before faking this.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: Do Soldiers with PTSD Deserve Purple Hearts?

Postby MizzCatharine » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Not purple hearts but definitely the most constant thorough care possible. Trauma endured in the military caused it, the military should pay for it and also give them some kind of increase in their checks if it interferes with their ability to maintain decent jobs

my 2 cents
MIND
over
MATTER
~~~~~~~~
If you don't MIND
It don't MATTER
MizzCatharine
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Moss » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:21 am

A soldier with PTSD could be a woman, you know.

And anyone with PTSD tends to have difficulties maintaining and cultivating relationships. So impressing the opposite gender is usually not a priority.

PTSD is not currently eligible for the Purple Heart because of a number of scuables over the criteria. It is not considered an injury against the body, it is not considered to be from an outside agent, and it isn't up for debate in the military really. PTSD is specifically inelligible.

www.usmcvta.org/pheart/phcriteria.htm quotes the code for the award to include the following list of inelligible injuries:

(a) Frostbite or trench foot injuries.

(b) Heat stroke.

(c) Food poisoning not caused by enemy agents.

(d) Chemical, biological, or nuclear agents not released by the enemy.

(e) Battle fatigue.

(f) Disease not directly caused by enemy agents.

(g) Accidents, to include explosive, aircraft, vehicular, and other accidental wounding not related to or caused by enemy action.

(h) Self-inflicted wounds, except when in the heat of battle, and not involving gross negligence.

(i) Post traumatic stress disorders.

(j) Jump injuries not caused by enemy action.

You can see that some of these are clearly physical injuries, but are still not eligible for the Purple Heart.

If you think someone should be honored for thier actions, honor them. Tell him or her that you feel his/her actions were honorable.

info and opine,
~moss
Moss
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Phoenixrising81704 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:42 pm

No.

It would bring the value of the medal down. The Purple Heart and the Medal of Honor are the only two awards that havn't been diluted into worthlessness. It is a symbol, it means something very specific and to give it to someone outside those specific's takes away its value as a symbol. Design a new medal for psychological injury, if need be but don't dishonor all the people that have a Purple Heart by handing them out to everyone. I will cite some examples.

Beret
- Used to be a symbol of the elite community needed to be earned, and was worn by those who took pride in the fact that they had earned it and wore it appropriately.
- Now everyone has it and it looks awful because most people don't shape it or wear it correctly.

Combat Action Badge (CAB)
- In first itteration it was for people who saw ACTION. Put gear on, kicked in doors and fired rounds. Now anyone within what is it now 300m? of a mortar gets one.. IE almost everyone.

They are symbols, they are intended to demonstrate what someone has done/gone through intelligently to anyone that knows. If you saw someone wearing a beret before the change it was an oooooooh look at that moment. Or damn he's a badass.. now it means nothing. Same with the CAB.. you knew he was someone who had been in the $#%^, now the same people that did shoot, get shot at, blown up, kicked in doors ect are wearing the same symbol as the admin guy that was walking to the chow hall and saw a puff of smoke 300m away.
Because here the victims become the monsters and need the help.
Phoenixrising81704
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Postby PTSD_Vet » Fri May 13, 2011 8:10 pm

I think there is a lot of valid points here for both sides of the discussion.

Having PTSD is a huge sacrifice and i believe it should be recognized. I also believe nearly everyone that serves over there has some form of PTSD, usually so mild it doesn't have a huge impact on functioning in our society. As others have said this would cause a blanketing of the highly appraised purple heart.

On the other hand they are now starting to award it for (Traumatic Brain Injuries) another none visible injury. I'm not pointing this out because of some personal reasons as I have mild TBI and server PTSD. I often think that people with TBI or PTSD should be awarded a purple heart with some sort of distinguishing device. Or maybe they receive a purple heart and people with physical injuries receive some sort of distinguishing device to preserve the traditional purple heart.

I know some people wont know what a distinguishing device is. Its basically an extra mark on the badge or ribbon. One of the most respected is the Valor device or combat V. Which is an extra V that sits on top of a ribbon. Of course I'm not insinuating that a combat V should be put on a purple heart. But maybe there should be something created for this situation. Many veterans with PTSD sacrifice for the majority if not all of their rest of their lives for there conditions. Of course this idea would bring on different issues. There really is no easy answer in my opinion.
PTSD_Vet
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post