Our partner

PTSD Soldier from Iraq...

Open Discussions about Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Re: PTSD Soldier from Iraq...

Postby pipebomb » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Greetings cpsmith,

I saw your post and decided to join just for this. I see that there hasn’t been any activity here for awhile, but I’m posting incase you are still around.

I am a combat vet of the Persian Gulf War, our first go around in Iraq. I too have watched my mates die as I was wounded and couldn’t get to them. This is something that I have lived with for many years and it wasn’t until more resent times that I have come to find help.

I would like to talk to you more, but hopefully these things are already being worked out in your life. Outstanding job on seeking help before the affects of war was brought before your daughter. Many people, like myself, have waited too long and had to pay a high price for it.
pipebomb
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Guilt

Postby SmallTalkRed » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:14 pm

caroline wrote:Hi cplsmith,

I've been thinking about you and your sense of guilt about the death of your good buddy.

Guilt is a natural part of our psyche. It prevents us from doing really bad things, and chastises us when we do bad things. If we don't have it, we're sociopaths.

Of course your guilt is a natural result of witnessing your close friend die when you were pointman, because you think you should have know everything about the dangers surrounding you and your squad.

It's absolutely impossible for anyone in that war to radar every IED in your path because you are a human being, and no matter how hard human beings try to be perfect, there is always something unexpected that comes our way.

You earnestly did the very best job possible, but it was impossible for you to see everything. No one could. BUT YOU DID YOUR BEST AND THAT'S THE IMPORTANT THING! I happen to believe when people pass on, they know what we're doing, how were feeling. Your friend is not thinking, "That SOB didn't see the IED and now I'm here. He's thinking, "Well done, good and faithful servant," just like God is. He knows you feel terrible, and wants you to work on being willing to release your guilt.

Thank you for the valiant service you willingly gave your country. Count yourself among our finest heros.

I'll be sending you good thoughts, son.

caroline

Well said.
cplsmith You did your best. I did my best.
It is a shame that what makes us survivors, can turn in and kill our lives. Don't let it.
peace and blessings,
red
SmallTalkRed
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views