Our partner

Definition, symptoms, and treatment?

Open Discussions about Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Definition, symptoms, and treatment?

Postby The Sum of Awe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 am

What exactly is Combat PTSD? Just interested
The Sum of Awe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Definition, symptoms, and treatment?

Postby WiseMonkey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:53 am

It's very simple. In fact, Combat PTSD is one of the only types of PTSD that are considered a "legitimate" PTSD by the psychiatric establishment and by DSM-4-psychiatric Bible (that is now replaced by DSM-5 with a bunch of other additional diagnosis). Combat PTSD is PTSD that develops as a result of combat trauma one received in the war zone. Simple and straightforward.

Other "legitimate" PTSD are those that come as a result of any traumatic even that is considered life-threatening. That's why post-traumatic symptoms that develop as a result of abuse are not considered PTSD by psychiatric "experts" because according to them those abusive experiences, as traumatic as they might be, are not life-threatening. Never mind that people experience post-traumatic symptoms for the rest of their lives. Since the events were "not life-threatening" according to them, that is not PTSD no matter how traumatized you feel. That's why many clinicians came up with a non-official diagnosis of a complex PTSD or C-PTSD specifically for abuse survivors. The psychiatric establishment though denies the legitimacy of such diagnosis. Frankly, all this buzz around diagnostic labels makes me sick to my stomach. Why is it not clear that we all have had our share of emotional injuries, some more, some less, but everyone has had some, and that our experiences certainly have shaped the way we feel, think and behave? It plays out in million of different ways in different people and that's why every human story is unique and cannot fit perfectly under a specific label. This rigid system of labeling used by the mental health system is preventing recovery more than it's promoting it because it doesn't allow a real research to be conducted and a real understanding of human mind-body connections to emerge. Ok, sorry for rant. I answered your question but I just couldn't help ranting.

WM
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."-Martin Luther King, Jr.
http://therapyconsumerguide.com/
WiseMonkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Re: Definition, symptoms, and treatment?

Postby NinjaStar » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:49 am

Wow, great post. Disability pay and statistics also play a role in the diagnosis travesty.
NinjaStar
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:57 pm

Return to Combat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder