Our partner

please help me

Cognitive Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

please help me

Postby DaneClark » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Is there some kind of disorder that messes with your brains ability to ground abstract concepts? I think I may have it. It's hard to explain basically it's that all of my thought patterns are too "rigid" and "fragile".
DaneClark
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: please help me

Postby Contro » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:56 am

Can you be more specific?
Contro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaneClark » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Basically, my brain has lots of trouble with the kinds of things that Lawrence W Barsalou always writes about. it also feels difficult to read my emotional compass.

The fact that I am a very ambitious person who likes to hold on to his plans and expectations for the future down to the last detail doesn't help. I dont want to get rid of that part of me, it's where all my best ideas came from.
DaneClark
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Contro » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:53 pm

DaneClark wrote:Basically, my brain has lots of trouble with the kinds of things that Lawrence W Barsalou always writes about.

What kinds of things does he write about that you have trouble with? I'm not familiar with his work.

it also feels difficult to read my emotional compass.

You don't understand your feelings?
Contro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaneClark » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:21 pm

From Lawrence W Barsalou ' s Wikipedia page:
"His work addresses the nature of human knowledge, and its roles in perception,memory, language, and thought. The current theme of his research is that the humanconceptual system is grounded in the brain’s modality-specific systems. Specific topics of interest include whether (and if so, how) modality-specific systems implement symbolic operations and abstract concepts, which is one of the main tasks of current cognitive psychology. Other lines of research address the situated character of knowledge, the dynamic online construction of conceptual representations, the development of ad hoc categories to support goal achievement, the structure of knowledge, and category learning."

And it feels so easy to inhibit negative thoughts that it makes it feel too easy to not care about important things
DaneClark
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby DaneClark » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:28 pm

Someone PLEASE tell me what I have and how to fix it. These symptoms were caused by a bunch of vitamins I took to treat my aspergers. My brain cannot ground anything effectively, and it always causes headaches. I'm really tired of going on Web forums and being given the brick wall treatment, and my therapist never responds to any of my emails.
DaneClark
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Contro » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:05 pm

DaneClark wrote:And it feels so easy to inhibit negative thoughts that it makes it feel too easy to not care about important things

You should only inhibit unimportant negative thoughts, things that you don't want to think about and don't need to think about, things that can't be changed. Inhibiting important thoughts is a bad habit and if you want, I can try to help you see how you can stop doing that, but in order to do that, we would have to take the process one step at a time so that you wouldn't overwhelm yourself.

I'm not a licensed therapist and I can't diagnose you, but I can try to help you understand yourself better.
Contro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ginalovea » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 pm

If it helps you, I don't understand those abstract concepts you describe either so, you're not alone.
ginalovea
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Postby saila » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:25 pm

Is there some kind of disorder that messes with your brains ability to ground abstract concepts?

- overestimation of one's own capabilities
- psychosis, depression and disabilities can lead to incoherent thinking
- lack of education and studies (a university degree has nothing to do with serious studies)

It goes without saying that a sincere basis of ontology, dialectics, history, philosophy and psychology are neccessary to accumulate a narrow basis of knowledge.
saila
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:21 am

Postby saila » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:48 pm

PS: When you want to completely penetrate a text written by an expert, then you need to accumulate a basis of knowledge on the knowledge level on the text. That can reach up to the competency of the author.

That is why I find it extremely difficult to read or understand philosophical texts. They are "inaccessible" for a layman.

Additionaly some people write badly, bloated, or pretentious. I am not refering to this author, because I have no information of him. But it is just generelly hard or even impossible to access a badly written text.

You wrote, you're ambitious. Maybe you want to much. Or you need to do a big lot of work to lay a basis.
saila
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:21 am

Return to Cognitive Disorder NOS Forum