Our partner

Techniques

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Techniques

Postby figtvcmpta » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi all
I am a beginning therapist and at a loss for a list of techniques. I am big into exploring foundational thoughts and beliefs of course. That is why I am posting in this CBT subforum. Both my supervisor and I do not know of any books listing just techniques. I was hoping you other experienced counselors have some techniques you pull off the shelf during your counseling sessions. Please share your wealth of knowledge! :) If you could, please list the techniques used and a brief summary of the technique to give the reader an idea of how to use the technique.
Thank you all therapists and counselors.
figtvcmpta
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Techniques

Postby Looking_to_help » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:30 am

Hello, as a professional in the field (LCSW) there are a variety of CBT techniques I use. First I always like to get a full history of the patient's mental health-physical health and family of origin issues. I also would introduce the patient to what CBT is, psycho-educate them on what it means, review types of Cognitive distortions, complete Action-Thought/belief-Feeling-Behavior charts with them, give them homework, practice ways to turn negative-irrational (distorted) thoughts into more positive or realistic- rational thoughts. Also explore triggers, core beliefs, and teaching coping skills are vital to CBT. Its important to remember that no two patients are the same and CBT can and will often have to be modified, altered slightly patient to patient. Also, CBT is not a long term therapy, it often takes 10-16 sessions, sometimes slightly more or less, so it is structured-time focused and progresses every week. PM me if you like my email and i'd be happy to provide you with more specific feedback-support or assistance, if needed. Hope this helps!
-Dan.
Looking_to_help
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy