Our partner

Effectiveness of CBT?

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Effectiveness of CBT?

Postby ladyjello » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am

Been offered a course on this - done a bit before - but not sure how effective it is - whether it would be a waste of time / resources etc - especially for me - as I am not even convinced by what I understand to be the basic premise of it - that thoughts and postitie thinking channge mood, feelings and behaviour. It has always seemed to me that my thought are influenced by my mood - not the other way around - and although previous "CBT" helped a bit - it did not change the fact that sometimes my thoughts cannot seem to overcome my mood.

However I am considering giving it a go because I want to try to control my anxiety - if I can - but a bit skeptical because it am not having panic attack type anxiety - it is more like a wave that spreads over me from my stomach area and feels very physical to me - and is I think at least partly caused by hormonal issues in my case - but might give it a go anyway.

Maybe the effectiveness depends on how good the therapy and therapist is?

Have a friend who got CBT once a week for about 6 months and she thought it was great and has lots of info and tools now - however I have been offered a course that takes 3 hours - (also seems you can become one of their therapists in 8 hours!). I fear it will be a course at the level where it would be an insult to the intelligence of a 9 year old.

Cynical old me suspects it may turn out to be like ordering a turkey dinner from a menu, getting excited, anticipating real roast turkey with stuffing, roast and mashed ptoatoes, several fresh vegetables, little sausages wrapped in bacon and hot steaming tasty gravy - and being dissapointed when a plate with a thin slice of processed turkey roll a boiled potato and half a dozen frozen peas is presented to you.

But of course, that may just be my "negative, warped thinking"! And if I do not benefit from the course, it will be my fault and proof of a bad attitude and not trying hard enough and so my fault.

Unconvinced ... but think I will give an online course a try first - then if "cured" I may not need the 3 hour real life cours - or "embrace it with open arms to give me more wonderful positive CBT. Will report back.

Meantime - here are theonline courses I intend to look at , if anyone is interested in trying them out for themselves -
http://www.llttf.com/
http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome
Some Emotional and Mood Instability.
ladyjello
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Effectiveness of CBT?

Postby salted lipstick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Well if it's only 3 hours long, if it is disappointing at least it won't be a long amount of disappointing. :mrgreen:

Is it an expensive course? I mean, what have you got to lose if it sucks? Just three hours and some money? You might meet some interesting people and learn some stuff while you are there...

Personally I didn't find CBT that helpful but that would be because the 6 sessions I had were with a therapist who failed to diagnose me as having DID. I think different things are helpful for different people and it probably largely matters what the cause of your feelings are as to what treatment will help. For example, with a deeply rooted history of trauma as I have, no amount of recognizing my negative thoughts and trying to change those thoughts is going to help with my mood if I haven't dealt with the underlying trauma. Lots of people do find CBT helpful. Maybe the treatment is more effective when the root of the problem is something different to what I had?

I think if you want to control your anxiety it might be a good idea for you to get a therapist to work with on a consistent basis... Improvement in your mental health is one of those things that is going to take time to do thoroughly...
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:57 pm

Re: Effectiveness of CBT?

Postby Anonymous2012 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:56 pm

You're right in being skeptical about cognitive therapy because it's based on a premise that doesn't apply to a lot of patients n it depends also on the disorder. Behavioural therapy alone is probably more useful n effective in many cases.
Anonymous2012
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy