Our partner

What's it like

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What's it like

Postby InsideOut*Abnormal. » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:04 pm

I'm about to go to the doctors about my anxiety problems
I have a feeling thy'll want me to enroll in cbt
What's it like?
There will always be problems we cannot avoid in life, but whether you respond to that problem with another problem - a negative attitude, or a defeatist outlook - that is your choice.
InsideOut*Abnormal.
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What's it like

Postby Chucky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 pm

CBT is quite good, and the therapist who you might see will have spent many years training. Therefore, he/she will be quite good at the job, I'm sure. I had CBT for a period of around 2 years, and it helped me immensely.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby InsideOut*Abnormal. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:42 pm

It sounds really helpful actually!
Did it ever make you feel abit under pressure/ uncomfortable though?
There will always be problems we cannot avoid in life, but whether you respond to that problem with another problem - a negative attitude, or a defeatist outlook - that is your choice.
InsideOut*Abnormal.
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Chucky » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes, it made me uncomfortable many times. I gradually knew what the tricks of my therapist were. One thing she always did was not allow me to change focus from things that make me nervous/uneasy. So, if I tried to change the subject from - say - my food issues, then she'd drag the conversation back towards that (I have an eating disorder, by the way).

Please be as open/honest as you can be when/if you get the therapy. If you embrace it and are open, then it really should help you.

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby InsideOut*Abnormal. » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Oh okay, I see, so it's like a cold turkey treatment on avoidance. I tend to change the subject with people and not look at them or pretend to have a text message, so to be able to control the urges to run away would be wonderful for me.
I'm sorry to hear you have an eating disorder, they are terrible, my sister is anorexic and she went through alot of suffering with it when she was 17. I have problems eating, but only in social situations, I can't eat in front of people, or if i know there are people that i'm not familiar with are near/around me. when I went to school i used to just have 1 meal a day to avoid eating at school, i'm the same with toilets too.
InsideOut*Abnormal.
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Chucky » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Hmm, that's interesting. On many occasion in the past, I would just eat my lunch in the toilet itself! I hated going to the canteen at university. Gradually, I did go and was comfortable enough to eat in front of others. In school, I never used the toilest once. I was afraid to walk into them for whatever reason. So, for 12 years of primary and high (secondary) school, I never used the toilet once in the school itself!
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby InsideOut*Abnormal. » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:17 am

i've eaten my lunch in the toilets before, I could never really bring myself to get food from my school canteen it was too hard for me :/
Thank GOD they had a pasta stall outside so i could just about manage to get some food sometimes, most times i just didn't have breakfast cause of my sleepless nights, i'd wake up too late. Then not eat a thing at school, just drink water because of my excessive sweating problems, then binge eat till i be or feel sick when i got home. sometimes if i felt depressed and i'd had a bad day i'd comfort eat all night aswell :|
InsideOut*Abnormal.
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Chucky » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Hang on...you have an 'excessive' sweating problem? Can you elaborate on that as much as you can? I have always felt that I sweat quite a lot. In general, i'm still a clean person though. Still, if I go out walking in ambient heat for a while, my clothes could be 'soaked' afterwards. You know, flies are attracted to moisture and go for people like us more than others... :( Flies are always bugging me.
psychforums.com rules:

Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby InsideOut*Abnormal. » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Yeah, sure. Well I sweat so much when someone talks to me that i have beads running down my face and it clogs my porses and gives me acne.. I have to change my clothes alot in a day for them to remain dry :( it's mainly from my armpits, they just sweat and sweat and sweat to the point where i have a sweat patch on my clothes of about 5 inches in diameter. I sweat so much that i feel faint and dizzy :/

Ugh yeah flies are a pain :(
InsideOut*Abnormal.
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby eric555 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:07 am

It's simple. It's not the thing or person that causes your fear. It's because you believe they can hurt you. It's your distorted illogical and exaggerated thinking that is the source of your discomort. Correct your attitudes. Another person could meet the same situation and not be bothered by it at all. It's your interpretation. So start acting like you are completely fearless because you now understand that the thing itself can't hurt you. Going with fear reactions only reinforces your false belief. The situation you fear at most can only be an inconvenience or not what you'd like it to be. You have developed the habit of taking it way too far. It's called irrational thinking.
eric555
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy