Our partner

A thought about CBT and emotions

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

A thought about CBT and emotions

Postby cribbageking » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:49 am

I think that all emotions, basically, have emotions underneath them or occurring before them. This makes me think that all emotions are able to be modified, even deep feelings like those of power, sexual desire, and prodding of morality (which I experience as a thought).

What stands out to me in CBT are "should statements" which are irrational. They seem to carry the form of the "is-ought" fallacy, or the naturalistic fallacy, something that was developed by the philosopher Hume. Hume said you can never derive an "ought" from an "is", or a moral statement from a statement of fact.

I think that all emotions, including sexuality, have a thought behind them. This is technically true of thoughts that are even genetically caused. I think sexuality is, for most people, somewhat genetic and somewhat socialized. A telling piece of evidence for this is that twins when separated at birth are not always the same sexual identity, whether straight or gay. This makes me think that there is some socialized element to sexuality. I think there is a thought that happens when one is young that puts one in one direction or another.

For instance, I think someone can have the thought "I ought to act like my mom, therefore I ought to like men". Both of these statements are technically ought statements, and that means that they don't correspond to any fact externally. I think these cognition think that they are corresponding to something externally, like a word corresponds to an external object, however I think that they don't actually correspond, as Hume, with conclusive thrust, as shown.

This makes me think that thoughts like this can be altered, and that this can alter sexuality to a wider margin that is traditionally said, even in scientific or liberal circles, using CBT thinking.

I wanted to present this thought to see if it makes sense to others or if there was some reaction to it, whether in disagreement or agreement.
cribbageking
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:17 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post