Our partner

Can CBT backfire?

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Can CBT backfire?

Postby nyco0399 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Not exactly sure how to word this, but let's say somebody's OCD is driven by fear of getting acne. Since the goals of CBT/ERP is to 1)Break the cycle 2) Face the fear 3) Experience dissipation of anxiety
without ritualizing and 4) Learn that feared consequences do not occur...what happens if a pimple or two "coincidentally" pops up during therapy? Wouldn't this reinforce the belief that the feared consequences do occur? Any thoughts?
nyco0399
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can CBT backfire?

Postby WiseMonkey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:47 pm

It can re-enforce that belief, of course. But it seems to me that that particular belief is not a problem in this case, but it's rather the belief that pimples/acnes/break-outs or other minor skin problems are a big deal. The problem to me, as I see it, is the belief that acnes are something horrible and should be avoided at all cost, that acnes become a major life issue. That's an interesting belief to explore rather than will they appear or not if I don't do A, B and C.
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."-Martin Luther King, Jr.
http://therapyconsumerguide.com/
WiseMonkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy