Our partner

CBT for fatigue / somatoform?

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

CBT for fatigue / somatoform?

Postby Kivie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:42 pm

It seems CBT is often mentioned as an effective treatment for CFS and also for many somatoform disorders. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any self-help CBT resources that are specific to these things? Or any non-specific resources that might be useful anyway?

Now I'll just briefly outline my "story": I have not been diagnosed with CFS or a somatoform disorder or indeed anything! I have had chronic fatigue for over two years which has destroyed my life and left me unable to do things. I was told (correctly) that I don't meet the (Fukuda) critieria for chronic fatigue syndrome. I saw several doctors and psychiatrists and they were all totally unwilling to provide me with any diagnosis. I started CBT but I didn't get on with the therapist so I stopped it. And I didn't understand it and I still don't understand how it could be helpful or how it's supposed to work (for fatigue). I had had CBT for anxiety when I was younger and I can kind of see its applicability to anxiety, but in my case it didn't help with my anxiety problems and now that I don't have any anxiety symptoms I don't have high hopes that it will help with my fatigue.
I happened to notice that I probably meet the DSM criteria for undifferentiated somatoform disorder which is the only reason why I mention it here.
Kivie
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: CBT for fatigue / somatoform?

Postby knowthyself » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:03 pm

I'd love to have some help for you, but the only thing I know about so far is MoodGYM which is a free online CBT (I'm half way through it myself).

Wish you luck!
knowthyself
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy