Our partner

Whether to use CBT or REBT ??

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Whether to use CBT or REBT ??

Postby JoeDoeToe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:18 am

Hi,

I have some irrational beliefs about myself that causes me lot of anxiety/depression like

- I am a horrible person
- I will fail at it

I have read a nit about CBT and REBT and find that both of them differ (I am not a expert at it so I might have not understood it correctly) :

CBT suggest I check the validity of the beliefs whether am I really a horrible person and see what distortions I have in that (overgeneralizing)

REBT suggest that I ask myself whether it that horrible / terrible that I am like that. Can I accept myself and be ok with being a horrible person and a failure.

Which method is better ?

Regards.
JoeDoeToe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Whether to use CBT or REBT ??

Postby green_tea » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:03 am

Hi JoeDoeToe,

REBT all the way. That's my opinion and you don't know me, though.

"REBT suggest that I ask myself whether it that horrible / terrible that I am like that. Can I accept myself and be ok with being a horrible person and a failure."

This isn't quite it. REBT involves Unconditional Self Acceptance. It also would disagree with the notion that you are a horrible person and failure. Those are ratings and labels. Perhaps some of your behavior may be horrible and you may fail at things but that does not define what you are. It describes your behavior. REBT holds that people are neither good nor bad and good behavior does not mean a person is good, it just means their behavior is good at times - even if they are almost always behaving in a good manner.

Check this out: www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=3tZnQvgFZms (Albert Ellis on Unconditional Self Acceptance)

and this: www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=GyRE-78g_z0 (a cheesy old interview of Ellis but he covers a lot and does it well)
green_tea
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post