Our partner

CBT or flexible?

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

CBT or flexible?

Postby C1100 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:04 am

Hello guys,

I have a question regarding CBT. My GP has referred me to psychologist for anxiety treatment. During the first session she asked me what is the goal? It's about anxiety, I answered. And she said she'll do CBT.

For the next few sessions, she gave me simple homework for example lists the negative thoughts on the left and what is the body reaction on the right and then the other session's homework was to fill the situation, the unhelpful thoughts/images, emotions and physical sensations, etc.

And then for most sessions she just chat with me, ask me what has been happening since last we met then I tell her and she basically gives advice and correct my way of thinking, but all of these were all done verbally.

Then she asked about job, family, etc. There is issue in the job and family. Again, she gives verbal advice, etc. And then after quite some time, I feel that it becomes like chatting. I filled the written homework, gave to her, she took a look for a second but the homeworks have never been reviewed.

And one of the homework was asked me to fill the action plan/ difussion technique which she asked me to left it blank, this also has never been reviewed. As far as I know CBT is not the same as diffusion. But she said it depends on the situation.

If you asked whether the theraphy is helpful, it's like in between. Maybe it is useful only when I am there. From what I know, CBT will teach us methods, practices, exercises, etc that will be useful for long term, you get a clear structure and you know what to do next time you meet particular situation you normally have difficulty to cope with. I read somewhere some people got workbook or manual how to deal with those situations.

So I'm not quite sure what she did, am I getting a real CBT or she just doing something else? Thanks in advance.
C1100
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: CBT or flexible?

Postby Oliveira » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:02 pm

I've had the exact same experience -- therapist asking me to do homework, then proceeding to not caring whether I did anything and not even asking me anything related to it, and also during sessions just sort of chatting with me. Either CBT simply is supposed to work like this or we share a therapist ;) (I guess not, mine is male).
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby C1100 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:37 am

oliveira wrote:I've had the exact same experience -- therapist asking me to do homework, then proceeding to not caring whether I did anything and not even asking me anything related to it, and also during sessions just sort of chatting with me. Either CBT simply is supposed to work like this or we share a therapist ;) (I guess not, mine is male).

CBT is part of the counselling or the other way around?
How did you go with your CBT? Did you continue or not?
C1100
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby C1100 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:18 am

Just saw my GP and according to her it's normal and it's not like black and white but according to most people CBT has to have structure. Anyone have different experiences? Appreciate that, thanks!
C1100
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy