Our partner

CBT Question: Identifying Thoughts

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

CBT Question: Identifying Thoughts

Postby Ecudes » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:18 pm

I've read several books on CBT in order to improve my social confidence as I feel anxious in social situations.
I understand thoughts cause feelings, and the basis of CBT is to analyse the thoughts that trigger feelings and actions. The only problem is I have difficulty identifying my thoughts, I just feel anxious, and my face tenses up and I speak fast. I basically have all the effects, but I can't seem to isolate the thought triggering it! A lot of people complain of their mind racing with thoughts when they are anxious. I have the complete opposite, my mind is clear of thoughts, but I still feel anxious/tense in social situations.

Is there any way I can identify these underlying thoughts?

thanks,

Richard
Ecudes
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: CBT Question: Identifying Thoughts

Postby Looking_to_help » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:47 am

Richard, you raise a very good question.

There are two things you can try.

1-Pay attention to any thought you have recognizing the anxiety/tension/speech issues you have when your in a social situation that triggers it. That awareness of those symptoms, can be the thought that maintains these symptoms.

2-Think back to the roots of your social anxiety and what causes or caused it originally (Was it a negative experience? Or an accumulation of different negative or uncomfortable experiences? Could this root cause of your social anxiety still be the thought hidden deep in your subconscious?

Sometimes the thought gets masked or hidden by the symptoms, that it is hard to see or acknowledge, some times it takes a little inner -processing to be able to find what the thought is.

Keep us updated if any of those 2 methods worked.
-Dan
Looking_to_help
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post