Our partner

REBT-- Dr. Ellis?

CBT message board, open discussion, and online support group.

REBT-- Dr. Ellis?

Postby Leaborb192 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:32 pm

In my "Abnormal Psych" class we studied REBT, a form of CBT, made famous by Dr. Ellis. It seemed legit to me. My question is: has anyone tried it and if so, did it work for you?

REBT (Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy)

A: Activating event
B: Beliefs
C: consequences

The basic crux of REBT is that people challenge irrational beliefs; Ellis will sit there bringing up "beliefs" that people fall victim to and bat them out of the field, one at a time to help enlighten the person so s/he can say, "Why did I believe that #######4 for all these years?"

One of the thing he challenges is "mustabatory" thinking... changing wants into needs: I NEED for people to like me, which is in itself, an irrational belief: you don't really NEED for people to like you. All that does is continue the negative feelings if people don't like you. It's CBT because it attempts to challenge and change the thoughts and beliefs, which plague the patients. Here's a wiki article if you'd like to read about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_e ... or_therapy

So the question stands: anyone ever participate in REBT? Did it help? What was the session like? If I were a therapist, that would probably be the therapy I practice. :D
Leaborb192
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: REBT-- Dr. Ellis?

Postby green_tea » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Leaborb192 wrote:In my "Abnormal Psych" class we studied REBT, a form of CBT, made famous by Dr. Ellis. It seemed legit to me. My question is: has anyone tried it and if so, did it work for you?

REBT (Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy)

A: Activating event
B: Beliefs
C: consequences

YES. I found REBT online and have been practicing it. It does absolutely no good to merely think about it once you learn about it. It has to be USED. If you don't practice it, you may as well not even know about it. It works best when done in writing. Write down the A. Write down the Cs that are happening. Then start looking for the iBs and write them down. And the sooner in your thought process you catch yourself, the easier it is to work on an ABC - BEFORE you are too upset and have yourself on a roll down some cascade of anger or anxiety or whatever it is.

It's ABCDEF - D = disputation, E = Effective new beliefs, F = new emotions that relpace the ones caused by your former iBs and G = new goals

YES, it has been extremely beneficial to the point that I am very sorry that I didn't know about it decades ago. I also know that had I been told about it the way most people explain it I would have rejected it immediately as brainwashing power-of-positive-thinking bullschtick.

One thing I notice is that almost everyone who is trying to exlpain or teach or use it does it wrong. Most of the canned disputes that Ellis gives are not helpful and will turn off newbies before they get to see how much power the ABC tool has. I'm lucky that I happened to find it at the right time just after I botched up an important personal project due to upsetting myself over MUSTs and other unhelpful thinking which REBT addresses.

TIP: Practice ABCs with an upsetting A that you imagine in your mind. That's easy enough to do. Just imagine some person says something offensive or imagine that you make some embarrassing mistake, etc. Imagine how you'll start to feel and what you might do if you keep upsetting yourself. That's the Cs. Then start looking for the iBs (irrational beliefs). Those beliefs are often hidden and not easy to figure out because they are things you truly believe and never even question - like gravity. You don't think about believing that if you jump up you will come down, you just KNOW it. Well some things you just know may not be quite as true as you think. You've programmed yourself over your life to believe them because they were the best or most obvious explanation for how things happened back then.

Working at the ABCs with others who are also working at it can be very helpful, especially while you are getting the hang of it. It's much easier to see other people's iBs than to see your own at first.

p.s. and to those who are therapists or intend to be therapists let me just squash one of your field's favorite Irrational Beliefs which is that those labelled wtih personality disorders are just hopeless and "just don't want to change" and are intractable, etc. If you ever believe that, change to the correct belief which is that you just aren't explaining things correctly to this person or perhaps you are not understanding their agenda and are imposing your own, etc. Then if you still feel it's the client's fault, please refer them to someone else. Thanks.
green_tea
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:06 pm

Re: REBT-- Dr. Ellis?

Postby green_tea » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:51 am

This is the best explanation of REBT I have found that covers it well enough to have gotten me to see it for the useful powerful tool that it is. You have to listen to every word Ellis says for the whole video and not assume what he means or paraphrase it in your mind.

www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=GyRE-78g_z0

What nailed it for me was when the interviewer asks about a situation in which you're being slowly tortured to death. If you can see how REBT helps with that, then you see how it will help in any disturbance of your emotions/behavior/thoughts. Listen carefully to what Ellis says for that example.
green_tea
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:06 pm

Return to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post