Our partner

x 2!

Childhood Eating Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

x 2!

Postby Dad787 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi. My girlfriend, who is a edited healthy nurse, has 3 boys; one is about edited and is close to 6 foot, the others are a 19 year old that is edited , and a 14 year old that is edited. If I am not mistaken, the grocery bill is between $800 and $1000 a month American. This includes Oreos, Ice Cream, Kool Aid, brownies, cakes, milk, Sunny delight, 2-3 lbs of bacon per week, etc. The eating habits themselves are disgusting and we find it most times to be difficult to be around the 14 year where food's involved as when he's eating he's either spooning it out of a serving container into his mouth (last night, Cool Whip out of the container while he was in the middle of his Hamburger Helper) or some gross table behavior or he's farting or half naked, playing with his...what appear to be female breasts. The other large adult child still living at home child stays up all night talking on the phone, playing League of Legends or MW3 and eating & lord knows what else. The father of the kids left the family in '05-'06 and moved to another country, and the mom is a sweet, generous woman-very hard working. The family on the surface seems good and nice with some pretty normal growth and development issues. Why might these 2 large kids be so baby-like in their behavior at times & eat so much, and how is it that my girlfriend keeps supporting their indulgent eating & behavior? Thanks!
Last edited by jilkens on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: numbers removed
Dad787
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:19 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 270 lbs x 2!

Postby jilkens » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:51 am

Hi dad787,

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I just noticed your post.

What jumped out at me is that these boys must be very unhappy. Overeating to the extent they are isn't something a happy person does.

I think having their father leave & be out of their lives has something to do with it. With eating disorders, particularly binge eating disorder, the food is substituted for something the person feels deprived of. Sometimes, the layers of fat and "disgusting" behaviour are a way to shield themselves from having anyone try to get close. In a sense they are protecting themselves from being hurt again.

As for your girlfriend, only she can tell you why she accepts it. The proper term for this is enabling. Eventually she'll have to confront the issue before her children become unhealthier, but it's going to be extremely hard for everyone involved. The family will likely need professional help.

Best of luck, take care.
Blame it on me, but know that I won't regret one iota.
jilkens
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Childhood Eating Disorders