Our partner

nothing but junk food for 4 years straight

Childhood Eating Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

nothing but junk food for 4 years straight

Postby aussie1 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:09 pm

My nephew got sick with the flu or something similar when he was 3. After returning to health he refused to eat vegetables, fruit or anything that was good for him. My sister took him to a pediatrician and was told not to force him to eat, and children have the ability to get nutrients out of anything they eat. That was 4 years ago. His diet consists strictly of fried hot potato, ocassional roast potato, ocassional sausage, bread, toast, and garlic bread, soft drink (mainly coca cola) any type of junk including mcdonalds, burger king (he takes the meat out of burger) chocolate, lollies,crisps and basically any packaged junk food. It is quite comical to see the family ready to sit down to a meal of steamed veggies and some meat, while one of the parents whizzes of to KFC to get some hot chips,tub of gravy and some bread rolls. I don't believe he has an eating disorder as my sister keeps saying, he is eating all types of different textured foods, I believe he is eating only these items because he is allowed to by just simply refusing to eat the good stuff. In fact, I don't even think the parents have tried to address this issue for the last 3 years. He set the standard and now everyone goes along with it. Wouldn't any child prefer this if permitted? Trouble is, I do feel they are setting themselves up for serious health problems. How can his immune system be functioning correctly when his diet is rubbish? He is putting on weight in the face and the stomach. Also, I have heard several times in the last 10 years that fried potato is carcinogenic as the act of frying changes the chemical structure of the potato into something dangerous. Does anyone know of anyone in this situation and how to overcome it? The first obstacle would be to get through to my sister that permitting this to go on is very very dangerous to his health. It is a very touchy subject, and even the father has made snide remarks about it under his breath to the effect that he does not have a disorder, but just doing what he wants to and the mother is allowing it.
Any help appreciated.
aussie1
aussie1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Angel » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:51 pm

If you hear the father making comments....do you feel you can talk w/ your nephew's father....or his mother about this? Can you sit down and present them w/ information you've gotten on your own from nutritionists, child psychologists, etc. or whomever you would feel comfortable contacting for advice in this manner? Maybe visit certain websites and collect, print some information for the parents to read. Point out the health risks they are imposing on their child now as well as what they set him up for down the road. There are cases where children need to have their diets altered, but I can't see where anyone would prescribe a diet that consists only of high fats, and other "junk" food type factors as a sole means of diet. I agree that the child needs to be pushed ...w/ parental love mind you....in the direction of learning how to eat healthy.

Does the pediatrician know exactly what this child is eating? Beacues I'm sure when it was advised not to force the child to eat and suggested that children can get nurtrition from a wide variety of things....the dr. didn't have in mind to pump the kid full of high fat, fast food, junk food kinds of foods!
Angel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:36 pm

Postby tregoatx2 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:49 am

What can i do to substitute heathier alternatives to my junk food diet? I am a junk food junkie. but because i'm doing tennis, i'd like to eat healthier foods to improve my game. Any suggestions to substitute healthier alternatives to junk food but will allow me to still have the satisfaction as if i were eating junk food?
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:36 am

Return to Childhood Eating Disorders

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post