Our partner

Rumination Disorder

Childhood Eating Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Rumination Disorder

Postby elaine1234 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:01 pm

My 6 year old son was recently diagnosed with Rumination Disorder, he is getting sick all day everyday and I am so scared for him. I know only what is on the internet on this disorder. Will this effect him in school or can it be hidden, he is only young and could be bullied if anybody finds out. He says that the sick is coming up itself without force and he says it is getting worse. Going down the route of treatment, will he have this disorder for life. Help a worried mother
elaine1234
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Rumination Disorder

Postby CrackedGirl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:34 am

Hi,

I did not know about this and needed to research it for myself. I am sorry your child has this - it must be very difficult for you both. I think the main thing i took away from my research is that ppl children included do respond to treatment a lot of the time - and it is known he has it now so treatment can begin - presumably aversion therapy? The other thing I would say is to maximise the chances of recovery I noted it ws linked to depression so ensure that your child is assessed for that and if there are any signs of it they are also addressed and treated.

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby elaine1234 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 am

Thank you crackgirl for your reply, he is gone to school today and i feel so sad for him sitting in class all day and getting sick. He says it is coming up without force, so looks like he cant control it. Am I to blame for this or do you think it is in his genes and would have came out anyway. Will be going to a clinical physologist for behavourial therapy but waiting times are very long. Can this syndrome get worse as time goes on. Thanks for your help.
Elaine
elaine1234
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby CrackedGirl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 am

I am so sorry this is upsetting you so much. I am also glad he is going to see a behavioural psychologist - it sounds like that will help. Please dont blame yourself - from what i leanrt it is not known what causes this although there is the link to depression that I mentioned. The important thing is that he has been diagnosed correctly as ppl can get misdiagnosed making things more complicated and he is waiting for treatment. It is obvious you love your son very much. The other thing i learnt was that those who have this often grow out of it so there is hope.

Cracked

The Rules

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sandy26 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 am

Hello,
The first thing is that when your child is so young you have to take care of him every time you are never going to get alone him not for a sec and i think you should consult the doctor.
Sandy26
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby CrackedGirl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 am

Given that the diagnosis has been given and he is waiting for treatment I would assume that the Dr is already involved but thank you for your advice.

Cracked

The Rules

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sherryb1010 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:37 am

Hi there,
I was just wondering what has happened with your son since October? Have you been able to see a therapist yet? I was just told today that my seven year old daughter has this, but I'm very skeptical because some of the symptoms don't add up.

You seemed so worried, like I am. I hope all is well.
sherryb1010
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Childhood Eating Disorders