Our partner

An article

Childhood Eating Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

An article

Postby gato1116 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:18 am

Hi guys,

I've just finished reading the article, "Women, Eating Disorders and Self-Esteem" by Janet M. de Groot, M.D., F.R.C.P. This is a very short article (3 pages), but approaches to eating disorder holistically (early relationship with their family, body image relationship and late adolescence self-esteem). I really enjoyed reading it.

My eating disorder is deeply connected with my experience with boys. I was very nervous when I had to talk to boys in school. My palms got sweat and my heart started pounding. And I did not want the boys to know that I got nervous about talking to them. I thought it was embarrassing to let them know that I am nervous.

I think this nervousness comes from my home's country's educational system. They educate boys and girls differently. Our society makes it very rare that girls make friends with boys. If a girl is close to a boy, it means she loves him. That is why I was very afraid that people misunderstand that I love him when I talk to a boy.

In the article, when your caregiver does not meet your own needs in your childhood, you tend to meet other people's needs such as parents, teachers and societies. In the above case, I think I tried to meet the society's needs, and not my needs. Whatever other people say or think, I think I should not have been so nervous about talking to boys.

I still feel very nervous about talking to boys. Especially I get nervous when I talk to a good looking boy. It does not mean that I like or love them. I do not know why I get nervous. When I get nervous, I am not very honest and not very emotionally expressive. I want to overcome this nervousness and want to be open to boys if possible. This is because I think there must be cool boys that I can make friends with as I make friends with girls. I do not miss out such an opportunity.
gato1116
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: An article

Postby Cinderella » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:40 am

Hi Gato,
I would love to read the article if you could link it here.

I think you make some valid points-- at least for my case. I have always felt rather awkward with guys but assumed that it just came from an abuse history and never connected it with the eating disorder as well. Interesting.
"Cinderella and the prince lived, they say, happily ever after, like two dolls in a museum case never bothered by diapers or dust, never arguing over the timing of an egg, never telling the same story twice..." Anne Sexton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrWMBC6yoME
Cinderella
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:25 am

Re: An article

Postby gato1116 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi Cinderella,

This is really a late reply.
I have been very grumpy because I have had many troubles in my life and I did not have any capacity in my mind to offer to others. But here is the link.

http://www.nedic.ca/knowthefacts/docume ... esteem.pdf

If the link doesn't work, clink this and then click the top link.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=Women%2C+ ... iALjwsHRCg
gato1116
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:25 am

Return to Childhood Eating Disorders