Our partner

Children eating disorder?

Childhood Eating Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Children eating disorder?

Postby prabhakar80 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:21 am

I have heard something on the T.V. about a eating disorder that children have and was wondering what the name of it is and where I can find information about it.

All I know is that no matter how much the child eats they are still hungry and want more to eat.

If anyone knows what I am talking about please answer. This is very important as it sounds like what my 3 year old grand baby has.

Additional Details

my grand daughter is 3 years old and is over 100 lbs...she eats a good healthy meal and yet she is contantly hungry. she is getting to the point that she sneaks into the kitchen and steals food from the cupboards and fridge and takes them to her room and eats and eats and eats. she is always crying for food saying her tummy is hungry...i know there is something new that came out about something like tis...but can't catch the commercials about it.
prabhakar80
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Michael78 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:37 am

I believe you are referring to Prader Willi Syndrome.

Prader-Willi Syndrome is a congenital condition (present at birth) and is believed to be caused by an abnormality in the genes that occurs (though statistically it does not seem to run in families). Children born with Prader-Willi Syndrome may have early feeding difficulties that lead to tube feeding, and often have a degree of behavioral and/or mental problems (some severe).

The person with Prader-Willi Syndrome has an insatiable appetite. This can lead to obesity, stealing, and eating pet foods and items that are spoiled. This continuous appetite is caused by a defect in the hypothalamus -- a part of the brain that regulates hunger -- that causes the person to never actually feel full. There may be sleep disorders and abnormalities, bouts of rage, a higher threshold for pain, compulsive behaviors such as picking at the skin, and even psychoses.

Physical problems associated with Prader-Willi Syndrome can be delayed motor development, abnormal growth, speech impairments, stunted sexual development, poor muscle tone, dental problems, obesity and diabetes type II. The life expectancy of a person with Prader-Willi Syndrome may be normal if weight is controlled.

Prader-Willi Syndrome is a rare condition that puts a great deal of stress on the families involved. It is important to get the proper diagnosis early and to find medical and emotional support.
Michael78
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Childhood Eating Disorders

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post