Our partner

whats wrong with my daughter

Childhood Eating Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

whats wrong with my daughter

Postby wobberly1 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:41 am

Hi,

my 10 year old daughter got sick 2 months ago and stopped eating.

The local GP's said that she had a virus and would start eating once she got over it.

She's now in hospital on a nasal-gastric tube and will eat when made too but not enough to maintain her weight without the drip.

She's an active kid, who loves playing soccer and swimming. she doesn't want to be thin (she already is) she just wants to be healthy so that she can play. She's a little tom-boy and is not image conscious at all.

Her problem is that she just hates food, so its a chore to eat. And as soon as she does she complains about feeling full, "I'm going to burst Dad". She doesn't feel hungry when she doesn't eat either.

She's in hospital but they've got no idea why she doesn't want to eat and don't seem to think that finding out why is part of the short term solution; they just want to feed her so she's physically healthy. Naturally she feels miserable with all this.

She's always got on well with me, and now prefers me to the the extent that she resents others when I'm around, including her mum. This is not too good. She is much more intraverted than normally, but is getting a bit better.

Does anyone know what might be wrong with her, or where I can get some information about her condition.

thanks in advance
Martin
wobberly1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:18 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:26 pm

I have never ever encountered a person that does not like food. I mean, it's hard-wired into our brains to seek food, eat it, and digest it. So, I feel that this may be psychologically related; and that she has been influenced by an outside source. Here - in Ireland - girls her age are increasingly becoming aware of their bodies arnd eating disorders are on the rise.

It may very well be that she appears most friendly to you because you are being friendly to her. Perhaps her mother is critical of her eating habits, which is honestly the right way to be. Children need our guidance and, without it, they make up their own ways to live life.

Have you noticed her reading any of those girly magazines? ...Has she started hanging-around new people? Any changes at all?

Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:18 pm

Postby FatLouza » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 am

Not sure if this helps much but I have heard about something called PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections). You said she had been unwell before she stopped eating. There is some information http://intramural.nimh.nih.gov/pdn/web.htm here but you might want to find out more and maybe ask the doctor. I'm not sure if it's something that alot of doctors know about.

The link I posted doesn't mention the weight loss aspect - unfortunately I can't remember where I came across that. I remember the story being a 10 or 11 year old girl who lost alot of weight after being unwell and the family were told she had anorexia - but she was eventually diagnosed with PANDAS.

I hope you find some answers soon,

(((hugs)))

Lx
Louza, 32 , UK
FatLouza
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:37 am

Fit_nrg, this thread is almost one year old. I don't think the original poster ever came back. Besides, are you only here to advertise your website?

Kevin
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: whats wrong with my daughter

Postby tripleAbatteries » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 am

I know this post was written a year ago, but I just found it now and truly hope that you are still checking this forum...Although I highly doubt that. I really hope your daughter has gotten help since then. I think I'm 90% sure what is wrong with her, because the EXACT same thing happened to me at EXACTLY her age. No joke. Make sure to get tested for Celiac Disease...Sometimes a person may have it, and it STILL won't show up on tests. Try to get your daughter to eat a complete Gluten-Free diet for a while and see how she feels! This saved my life.
tripleAbatteries
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Childhood Eating Disorders