Our partner

Why was I a picky eater?

Childhood Eating Disorders message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Why was I a picky eater?

Postby chaz100 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:15 am

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I wonder if you could help me understand something. When I was younger I was a very picky eater. I would only eat about ten different foods with pasta and cheese being the only meal I would eat. I remember feeling very anxious and uneasy around new food. I'd refuse to try anything new and usually avoid social situations in which food would be involved. If I did try something, I would usually wretch and usually spit it out if I could. I'd usually make up excuses for why I didn't like foods, pretending I'd already tried them or coming up with a reason, e.g. "I don't like marshmallows, they're too sticky."

I'm no longer a picky eater. During my teens, I ate a meal at a restaurant that I thought was one of my safe foods but turned out to be something entirely different. It snapped me out of being picky and I shortly after embarked on a quest to try every food I could.

At university I met another picky eater. He ate about ten things, would come up with exactly the same kind of excuses I used to, and would become noticeably uncomfortable when in a situation involving new food. He was almost exactly the same as I used to be.

What exactly is this fear of trying new thing and what caused it? Is it some kind of eating disorder or phobia about food? Why was I able to break free of it and not the guy I met?
chaz100
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Childhood Eating Disorders