Our partner

Grandaughter feeling detached

Childhood Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Grandaughter feeling detached

Postby G-ma » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:06 pm

My husband and I have had custody of our grandaughter since she was 2 and she is now 10 years old. Last year she told me that she felt like she wasn't here sometimes...that she felt adopted...but it wasn't really her. Last night her mom called me as she was spending the night there and said she told her that she "felt as tho' she was looking thru someone else's eyes" and that she was sitting in corners and trying to overcome the feeling that she "wasn't really here". There is a family history of bi/polar and depression but she is only 10! I love her so much and don't want her to grow up feeling detached. What is going on with her?
Thanking any and all of you in advance for any info. G-ma
G-ma
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Grandaughter feeling detached

Postby jasmin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi, G-ma! Maybe some kind of depression is starting to kick in... Has she ever been abused? You should probably take her to a child psych who deals with situations like these.
Do you think she's being bullied at school or anything like that?
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:30 pm

Postby G-ma » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:46 am

Thank you for the quick reply! I've been doing some research online and I am leaning towards a sensory disorder perhaps. She fits so many of the profile traits. I talked to a counselor and got a name and she has an appt. with a psychotherapist next week. Maybe if nothing else they can listen to what she has to say and point us in the right direction. G-ma
G-ma
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jasmin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:41 pm

That's great, I hope they'll be able to help her! It's nice to see that you care about her a lot.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby G-ma » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:40 pm

The woman seems to think it may be a blood sugar problem....don't think so
G-ma
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jasmin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:09 pm

See if you can find a psych who actually specializes in kids who've been abused or who have mental problems. There are some bad professionals out there, but don't give up. You're doing the right thing for your little granddaughter.
forum-rules.php
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Divinorum » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:23 pm

This sounds like a classic dissociative disorder. Have a look at the derealisation / depersonalisation forum.

It also vaguely reminds me of micropsia.

It's been a few months, I hope you're still around to see this so you can investigate it; have you had any progress? If it is a form of chronic dissociation, it can be very confusing and hard to live with when people don't understand it.
Forgive yourself, love yourself, and love life. The rest will flow.
Divinorum
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:30 am

Postby Lily82 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:34 pm

This sounds like Depersonalisation/ Derealisation Disorder. They are Dissociative disorders.

This is not Depression or Bipolar. They are not metal illnesses. They are emotional problems.

10 is very young to get this disorder. She needs help ASAP. I don't mean to scare you, but usually people who get DP at this age, tend to get it for a hell of a long time, and it's hard to shift later on.

I had these conditions from the age of 8, and went on to develop DID/BPD.

Please try Trauma Release Exercises. They are not retraumatising, or mentally intrusive. They will help to 'ground' her, to be aware of herself and to release whatever stress or trauma that is causing her to dissociate. They will help her to communicate whatever pain she can't deal with.

Good luck to you and I hope your grandaughter gets the help she needs.
Lily82
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Childhood Disorder NOS Forum