Our partner

Ultra clingy, hovering daughter

Childhood Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Ultra clingy, hovering daughter

Postby Blazin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:09 pm

My 9 year old daughter is healthy, smart and happy. I am worried about one thing: when I am with her she hovers over me and follows me everywhere around the house. Occasionally she’ll watch TV, or play on the internet, by herself, but that’s the exception. As a toddler she was like this, and I thought it was cute then, but she’s older now and I expect her to have some autonomy. She expects to be socially engaged continually. She’s my third, and last, child, and my only girl. My sons were nothing like this.

Should I be worried? Will she grow out of this? Is there something I can do to improve her independence?
Blazin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Ultra clingy, hovering daughter

Postby 1Ste » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Sometimes its just a stage, and most grow out of it.

However, and my intent is not to frighten you, but look up DPD ( Dependant personality disorder ), which is what it could be if the pattern of behavior is persistent, lastes over 6 months, and really years since she is so young, and causes marked stress and difficulty in other areas of her life.

Its better to be informed even though its unlikely she could have it at such an age.

Some red flags which you should keep in mind as she ages are/is:
if She has difficulty making her own decisions
Does not assume responsibility
fears being alone or panics in situations where she might be.

just some, not all, just do your own reading, but don't jump to conclusions. gently encourage her to be more independant if it keeps up, perhaps assign her projects where she has to do her own way, she how she reacts..
Because I am very busy I may not always reply to a post or thread in which I have helped you in once before(Or posted in before), if you still need help or need a reply from me just contact me via PM or messenger.
1Ste
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 am

Postby Duff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:53 am

DPD for a 9 year old child that follows her mother around? Not everything is a disorder. Some kids really are just shy, and some kids really are just clingy. I was ulrta clingy when I was 9 years old, but I grew completely out of it. If she continues this after a few years (shes 9 not in her 30s) then I would seek professional help. Until then, give her things to do.
Sincerely,
Duff

rx: haldol, trileptal, lamictal, klonopin, cymbalta
Duff
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 am

Postby 420star » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:56 am

Um, I think most young children could be considered to have "dependant personality disorder".
It's called being a child?
420star
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Postby ThinkingTooMuch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:36 pm

My little sister was clingy and shy up til about 12 when she went TOTALLY opposite. I was independent from early age and has turned more mommy as I got older now 30. I wouldn't worry quite yet, it don't hurt to keep an eye open of course, but it's nothing abnormal yet. At least not in my humble opinion.
ThinkingTooMuch
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Return to Childhood Disorder NOS Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post