Our partner

What could this be?

Childhood Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What could this be?

Postby Amalya » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:51 pm

I don't know where to post this b/c I don't know what the problem is. Can any of you advise me as to whether I am worrying over nothing or if these symptoms indicate some problem (I don't know what)?

*DN is 9 y/o
*She has an articulation problem -- still pronounces "l"s and "r"s as "w"s -- "wun," rather than "run," and "wiw" for "will," for instance.
*She has somatization problems. Whenever she is stressed, she becomes physically disabled -- unable to walk or use various body parts.
*She's just comes across as immature -- overly sensitive, whiny, clingly, etc.
*She has severe limitations in diet -- will only eat certain foods and only if they are made in a specific way. Any time she goes anywhere, she has to bring her own food b/c she won't eat things at other people's houses. Even when she brings her own food, she doesn't eat it half the time b/c it doesn't taste "right."

Thanks for any help or direction.
Amalya
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby nutopian » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:50 am

Amalya, I'm no doctor, this is just my first impression.
There is a disorder called Sensory Processing Disorder, that affects many kids and adults, particularly those that were premature and/or that have some form of autism.
It's characterized by either an over-sensitivity or under-sensitivity to stimuli such as touch, light, sound. Kids with this problem are often picky eaters (because of unpleasant food textures) and/or seen as over sensitive - maybe even dramatic or attention seeking.
As for the speech problems - i don't know. It seems to me, though, that this type of impediment is fairly common, and not something to worry too much about.
This website has some very good info about sensory processing disorder and even has a checklist of possible symptoms: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/index.html
Like I said, I'm not a doctor and this is just my very uninformed opinion, but its something to look into.
It may also be that she has Asperger's - a high functioning form of autism, as these children are often described as immature and, like I said, have sensory issues.
I hope this helps.
nutopian
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Postby Amalya » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:07 am

Thank you for your input. So, from what you are saying, it sounds like the speech issue may be separate from the other issues. I just assumed that they were all part of the same thing. (Don't worry, I'm not taking your suggestion as a diagnosis!)
Amalya
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby nutopian » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:08 am

Yes, that's what I was getting at.
I guess it could be part of the same issue, but I'm not so sure that sensory integration issues would explain her speech problem.
I'm not sure what the underlying cause of a speech impediment is.
Physical structure or the mouth, possibly? Maybe even hearing problems. It might suggest a issue of flexibility of the tongue, in which case it could be related to some kind of fine motor skills deficit (which is affected by our sensory nervous system and therefore could be a result of SPD).
This is all pure conjecture. I would suggest consulting a pediatrician.
nutopian
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:50 pm

Postby suszen » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:49 am

:oops: Yes, i can guess that it could be a part of some issues. There is a disorder called sensory proccesing disorder. From this disorder they are many issues and should care about this.

===================

suszen

[url="HTTP://WWW.ASCIITECH.COM"]ASCIISOL[/url]
suszen
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Jaspar » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Aside from the sensory issues, she may be helped by speech therapy, dietary changes, and supplements due to her limited diet. You may also wish to consider getting her a thorough medical wor-up with a sleep study, endocrine work-up, nutritional status, and checking for food sensitivities, and checking for allergies.

Jaspar
Jaspar
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Return to Childhood Disorder NOS Forum