Our partner

How to let go of the pain

Open Discussions About Child Abuse

Moderator: Terry E.

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

How to let go of the pain

Postby Johei » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:12 pm

I’ve been hurting bad for as long as I can remember.
As soon as I got away from my parents, I started looking for something to fill the void, something that could give me back what I had lost.
It took me almost 20 years to find out I couldn’t do it that way: I couldn’t GET, couldn’t TAKE anything that would make me whole.
But there is something I, any of us can do.
Find others, those who have it worse than you. Like kids who still have to go through all the crap you have already been through, or elderly who are confused and lonely, or people dying of some horrible disease.

GIVE yourself.
Volunteer at your local hospital, become a youth counselor, offer to take disabled people out on a walk, whatever you can manage.
All the baggage we carry, all the pain, could be seen as dead weight, but you can also see it as valuable experience.
We might not be able to save ourselves, but we can save others.
The joy that gives is indescribable.
Johei
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How to let go of the pain

Postby jaus tail » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:01 am

i'll be honest...
i volunteered for teaching the underpriveleged for 2-3 months, and it didnt solve anything.

nothing really solves anything for me:
solo trip - no
exercise - no
meditiation music - no
therapy - no
ranting over here - no
confessing - no
self-forgiveness - dont know where to start or what it is...

nothing really helps me... but this is just me... if volunteering works for you... then that's good...
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:50 pm

Postby Terry E. » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:56 am

Johei wrote:I’ve been hurting bad for as long as I can remember.
As soon as I got away from my parents, I started looking for something to fill the void, something that could give me back what I had lost.
It took me almost 20 years to find out I couldn’t do it that way: I couldn’t GET, couldn’t TAKE anything that would make me whole.
But there is something I, any of us can do.
Find others, those who have it worse than you. Like kids who still have to go through all the crap you have already been through, or elderly who are confused and lonely, or people dying of some horrible disease.

GIVE yourself.
Volunteer at your local hospital, become a youth counselor, offer to take disabled people out on a walk, whatever you can manage.
All the baggage we carry, all the pain, could be seen as dead weight, but you can also see it as valuable experience.
We might not be able to save ourselves, but we can save others.
The joy that gives is indescribable.

Sorry did not reply before.

I think this can work in a number of ways.

I think it can give meaning. You don't just sit there feeling miserable asking "why me, why are others lucky and I was so unlucky to be born to this". You can lie in bed thinking of how you have overcome what happened and been a positive in the world.

It distracts. I believe in keeping busy, physically and mentally. At night when you lie awake, you can thing of the things you need to do for others, your commitments, not why, your life has had so many obstacles.

I think it can help socially. Many of us have social issues, running from anxiety disruptive to avoidant and everything in between. Social issues without risk. Not like at work, or at parties where you are exposed, but want to fit in.

Yeah, I can see it helping
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby john537 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:32 pm

I agree with you with full mind, body and soul.
john537
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Child Abuse Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post