Our partner

I need to find a name for a specific syndrome/dissorder.

Open Discussions About Child Abuse

Moderators: seabreezeblue, quietgirl2538, Terry E.

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

I need to find a name for a specific syndrome/dissorder.

Postby Signal » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Hello,

I'll describe my situation. An abusive relationship with one of my parents has led me to keep returning to one of them as though I were constantly seeking to be re abused. I need to find a term for a type of syndrome/condition, could you help?

I suffered psychological, verbal and emotional abuse from birth through to adulthood and through in to present day. It included (extremely severe) Gaslighting by (a parent with mental health disorders) narcissism psychopathic, also an alcoholic and extreme sexist.

I was so badly abused I now suffer psychoses, hearing abusive voices which follow me costantly, sometimes from behind doors or walls, in crowds etc, they are all around me, these auditory hallucinations constantly repeating the words of abuse I suffered as a child and still suffer today.

Being raised this way led me to believe I was the one to blame, I feel utterly worthless as a person, and also in the eyes of the person I love the most, my own parent, this constantly draws me back in to the abuse cycle, I have now been conditioned by them to seek abusive qualities in my partners, often confusing rejection and abuse for love.

There must be a specific name for this condition, I am un able to find it, it is something along the lne of Stockholm syndrome. Please can anyone offer me any suggestions or places I might be able to research.
Signal
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I need to find a name for a specific syndrome/dissorder.

Postby seabreezeblue » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:46 pm

i'm not sure if a name for it exists tbh, but there is a whole load of discussion and information about it - many of the members here (including me) can understand completely..

i'll have a bit of a look through tomorrow and see if there is a name for it, but for the moment, i'm just glad you've found us - and really sorry that you needed to xx
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Signal » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:46 pm

Thhank you seabreez, I did some reasearch I think it's battered person syndrome.
Signal
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby quietgirl2538 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm so sorry you have suffered such horrible abuse. I have to look that up that word. Many hugs, if wanted!

I found this:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320747.php

It says it can describe any "person" who has suffered this.

I have this too. But I have to share that I did leave my abuser, my mom. But not until I was at least 40. And that's because I no longer lived under her roof, she was still abusive towards me.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:52 am
Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Signal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks Quietgirl yes it's the same thing, it is also my mother I am talking about though I am a man.

The tables turn here I guess, odly just as some people arent so able to cope with the physical abuse of men we are not so able to deal well with emotional abuse of others, these are the evil extreems of both our genders. . I can honnestly say the emotional pain I have suffered at her hands is the worst anyone could possibly imagine, relentless mental torture for decades and still onging. I'm getting to understand how I can get the right sort of help now and how damaged I am, perhaps I will never know mental wellbeing but I live in hope that I can get the right help and support.
Signal
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 pm

I hope you get the right help and support. Wishing you the best. I had to get away from my mom, literally, get away to start over in life. I know how this type of person can hurt you.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby LilyITV » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:05 pm

battered person syndrome, Stockholm Syndrome and C-PTSd are some that are common in adult survivors of child abuse
LilyITV
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:07 am

Signal wrote:I was so badly abused I now suffer psychoses, hearing abusive voices which follow me costantly, sometimes from behind doors or walls, in crowds etc, they are all around me, these auditory hallucinations constantly repeating the words of abuse I suffered as a child and still suffer today.

The voices might be dissociative symptoms. Prolonged abuse that starts in early childhood can disrupt the normal integration of self that should occur, and this results in dissociated parts. Voices coming from dissociated parts are often misdiagnosed as being symptoms of a psychosis. Has anyone screened you for a possible dissociative disorder?
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:52 am

Postby Iucifer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:48 am

LilyITV wrote:battered person syndrome, Stockholm Syndrome and C-PTSd are some that are common in adult survivors of child abuse

I'd agree with all of these as well as suggest codependency - it doesn't seem unrealistic to me that it can be induced or exacerbated through abusive relationships.
Iucifer
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am

Return to Child Abuse Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post