Our partner

Telling my nephew his father abused me?

Open Discussions About Child Abuse

Moderators: seabreezeblue, quietgirl2538, Terry E.

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

Telling my nephew his father abused me?

Postby Roseredpinball » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:24 am

Hello. My nephew's father, that is, my older brother, abused me when I was a child (he is a good 14 or so years older than me and by the time I was four or five he was just entering college if that clarifies anything at all.) Anyway, fortunately my nephew is too young to talk, let alone comprehend something like abuse. But with him growing older and my sister-in-law pregnant with another kid on the way, I'm worried. What will I tell him as he (and my future niece/nephew) gets older? Do I tell him about the abuse? I fear if I tell him it will scare him and he won't feel safe around his father, and/or it will create a rift between them. Plus, I'm afraid that he will feel guilty/ashamed in some way because of having a former abuser as a father. Not to mention, then he would have to keep it a secret and that's not fair to him, either. On the other hand, if I don't tell him, I fear that he will grow up with this huge secret being kept from him and wondering why his aunt seems on-edge and acts aloof around his father. Children are more perceptive than we give them credit for, I should know. He will pick up on the tension between us, I'm sure. Also, I'm not certain even my sister-in-law knows what my brother did. I know my parents, other older brother, a few close friends, and a select few outside those circles know about it. Oh, and my therapist of course. My brother has reformed, at least I think he has. He hasn't hurt me in a long time and he treats me better now, though he still likes to give me (and everyone around him) "helpful" advice about how to live our lives. Things like diet, exercise, school, work, etc. He can also still be a bit of a jerk sometimes but he seems to have turned over a new leaf. He has yet to apologize to me for the abuse but my mother thinks he is sorry, he's just too proud to admit it. So I don't know, can anyone else who has been in the same or a similar situation give me any advice? Or, even if you haven't, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Roseredpinball
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Telling my nephew his father abused me?

Postby Terry E. » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 am

I am sorry for what you went through but would strongly advise not telling him until he is old enough to understand. When that is you will have to judge but I am guessing maybe when he has kids himself. I know that may not seem fair to you, but that is a huge thing to lay on a young child. It will diminish his joy in life and may change him in profound ways.

Again I am sorry for you but to take away a child's naive joy in the world may be something you may later regret.
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:03 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby quietgirl2538 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:30 pm

I'm so sorry you have suffered like this. I would not tell your nephew based on the fact that he can tell his parents and then they will turn on you. You don't deserve to be treated badly. I just picture in my mind, the older brother of yours denying it. That's my honest opinion.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:03 am
Blog: View Blog (81)

Postby seabreezeblue » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:57 pm

agree with the others here..

i hate that your brother abused you, but it's important that children are treated as children and protected.. allowed to keep their innocence as long as possible, rather than treated as confidants and exposed to too much of the nastier side of the world.

i'm assuming that you're talking about physical abuse here?
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..

forum-rules.php
seabreezeblue
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:03 am
Blog: View Blog (26)

Return to Child Abuse Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post