Our partner

Abusive mother or constructive critism

Open Discussions About Child Abuse

Moderators: seabreezeblue, quietgirl2538, Terry E.

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of abuse, some of which are explicit in nature. The topics discussed may be triggering to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

Abusive mother or constructive critism

Postby Dnester » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:42 pm

When I was younger my mom used to make fun of myOcd. Nothing i ever did was good for her and she used to say rude things to me. I would get mad and she would say i couldnt take constructive critism. She made me and my sister clean obsessively. She made fun of my developing body on several occasions. She told my step dad not to like me. He then began treating me like dirt and even slapped me once. Did i come from an abusive home or am I just tender hearted.
Dnester
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Abusive mother or constructive critism

Postby quietgirl2538 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:14 pm

You came from an abusive home. It may be done in a more subtle manner, but it remains an abusive situation. No one, not child or adult should be made fun of like that. It's like being a bully towards you. It's just not right.

My mom would make fun of how I walked and I swear I was so self-conscious of how I would walk at times. Then, later as an adult, I would take constructive criticism to heart, because I wasn't able to distinguish the both, constructive or actual criticism. I had the effects of abuse show up. And at least for me, it's not so easy to undo those feelings and thoughts that go through your mind. My therapist says I can get better, so I have faith that I won't be so sensitive to criticism all my life.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer