Our partner

Freud the Ego and the Id

Open Discussions on the Problems of Bullying.

Freud the Ego and the Id

Postby dlnewhouse » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:49 am

The most poignant part of the book is when Freud discusses how people can become accustomed to a negative response, and respond that way even when treated well. I was wondering if there is a name for such behavior besides obsessional neurosis?
dlnewhouse
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Freud the Ego and the Id

Postby dlnewhouse » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:52 pm

I spent a little time trying to find my favorite part of the book again. What I found was the term "negative therapeutic reaction" that Freud does not necessarily relate to the term obsessive neurosis. Also, on p8 he seams to be defining reluctance without mentioning the term. I don't think Freud was a genius, but too neurotic in his own right to string his ideas together. The thing is, the book is about the Ego, Id, and Superego and I just don't care that much about that. The things that Freud noticed that really matter it's as if he never got to finish the job.
dlnewhouse
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:47 pm

Re: Freud the Ego and the Id

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:01 pm

People who are traumatized or abused during their childhood develop core beliefs that dictate how they perceive the world and how they respond. Such as "I am bad," "I am unlovable," "People can't be trusted," etc. When they're treated well, it doesn't match up with those core beliefs, so they can't take it in and trust it.

There are newer, more science- and research-based theories of psychology that are given more credence today than Freud's ideas. And it's hard to get past his (later) belief that "neuroses" were based on childhood wishes, rather than that many of those disturbed behaviors were a result of actual childhood sexual abuse, not "fantasies" about having sex with one's parents.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:47 pm

Return to Bullying Forum