Our partner

How to be taken seriously about having an ED when overweight

Bulimia Nervosa message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: weepingwillow

How to be taken seriously about having an ED when overweight

Postby 00thomson » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:20 pm

I’m overweight, but I think I have bulimia, which has become worse this year.
I rarely eat more than one meal a day and regularly force myself to vomit or eat heavy dairy that I can’t digest (I’m lactose intolerant) because it makes me feel “full” (ie: sick). Everyone compliments me on my weight loss (a significant percentage of my body mass). Nobody takes my rapid weight loss seriously, especially my family. I grew up in the countryside and my mother was always the one who drove me to doctor’s appointments, but she’d constantly complain and berate me for being “dramatic” if I showed any symptoms of anything (I have chronic pain and a seizure disorder, both of which i tried to hide for months or even years).

I feared ever telling them, especially because my mum encouraged restricting & forced me into exercise regimes and diets regularly. I only recently gained access to seeing a doctor independently but I don’t know whether I’d get taken seriously at all because of my weight, even though I’m losing hair and my cheeks are hollowing significantly. Doctors usually just tell me that losing weight is a good thing.
The only supportive person I have (and the only person close to me that knows) is my boyfriend, and I don’t want to treat him like a counsellor, we’re very close, but he has his own mental health problems, and he deserves to not have to stress about me when we're together.
I don’t know what to do, but I also don’t want my mental and physical health to worsen.

Does anyone else have experience with a similar situation, and does anyone have any recommendations for what path to take?
00thomson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How to be taken seriously about having an ED when overweight

Postby weepingwillow » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:35 pm

I totally hear you! I've been bulimic for years but atm I am also overweight. It doesn't mean we suffer any less or in any way don't deserve help. Try and speak to your doctor and see if they can come up with something or you could try and eating disorder charity (if there's any near you). I went to one and they were actually better than the Dr's bc they had been through it so understood.

You are always free to post/vent/ask advice here

Willow
Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
weepingwillow
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:34 am
Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to Bulimia Nervosa Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post