Our partner

GABA Relationship to Bulimia

Bulimia Nervosa message board, open discussion, and online support group.

GABA Relationship to Bulimia

Postby persistentone » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:34 am

There are some interesting studies that show that patients with bulimia have higher numbers of abnormalities in the genes/SNPs related to the neurotransmitter GABA. For example:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3176559/

Does anyone know of a study that tries to administer GABA in its free form as a powder, or GABA in a lipid form as an under-tongue spray, to observe its effects on patients with bulimia? It's not clear to me from the above study do we want to increase or decrease GABA in these patients.
persistentone
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: GABA Relationship to Bulimia

Postby frangiflossi » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:31 am

From what I know about Nardil (basically my dream med that I'm trying to get right now for social phobia and depression), Nardil inhibits GABA-T, which breaks down GABA. We don't want GABA to be broken down too fast. Low levels of GABA are a mental health no-no, and point to anxiety/mood problems.

Weirdly, a psychiatrist recently told me that Nardil doesn't affect GABA, which she is blatantly wrong about. Easily accessible studies literally state the exact opposite, that Nardil has GABA-elevating effects. This still confuses me as to why she would state that. What's even more convenient is that I'm BPD, and it's kind of triggered a she's-doing-it-on-purpose-to-stop-me-from-getting-better complex. Yay.

Seems like if bulimia needs higher GABA, and social anxiety needs higher GABA, then Nardil is like a golden med for me.
frangiflossi
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Bulimia Nervosa Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post