Our partner

Shame

Bulimia Nervosa message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Shame

Postby ColouredLeaves » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:46 pm

I am trying to stop b/p without shaming myself. I listened to a lecture by Brene Brown called Shame Sheilds and she said that eating disorders and addictions cannot be shamed away because shame is one of the causes. So I am trying to stop calling myself names. I noticed that when I am bingeing the name calling stops briefly. No wonder it is so attractive. If I could say "to hell with the judgements" at times when I was not bingeing what a relief that would be!
ColouredLeaves
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Shame

Postby salted lipstick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm late to this thread but I know you are still around the place, so I am gonna respond anyway...

I'm so glad you mentioned this lecture! It was soooo good! I realised I do the same thing as you too, I call myself names too but when I'm binging I tend to not call myself names but say the situation is bad and that I am making a mistake.

I recently told my new doctor about my eating issues and her response was really good, I realised as I watched the lecture that she had a really good, non-shaming response. She asked what foods I would binge on and I said some of the stuff and she was like "oh yeah, that's really delicious I like the ones that are (insert her favourite varieties of the types of food I binge on)" and made a point about those being a bit of a weakness for her and it was just so nice of her, I didn't feel bad at all when previously I was really worried about saying about my eating issues, I thought she might be really critical and say I was stupid or something.

How are things with your binging/purging lately?
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:56 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Bulimia Nervosa Forum