Our partner

are you aware when your getting sick?

Brief Psychotic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

are you aware when your getting sick?

Postby delamo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:23 am

when your becoming sick and starting to have psychosis, are you aware somethings not right? what helps you, or what symptoms help you realize somethings not right? has this ever happened to you...? after my baby was born i was phsycially exhausted, yet 3 days after the birth, I still had not fallen asleep...that was the first inkling I had something wasnt right. I waited, a couple more days passed and i just plain couldnt sleep. I was also at the same time having alot of self accusatory thoughts like im a terrible mother, and i remember the sound of birds singing bothered me, it sounded like they were taunting me. This was the first time i had a psychotic break, it lasted about three weeks. sometime after that, i was diagnosed w/ schizoaffective (but that was seperate from the first episode which was hormonally caused postpartum psychosis)

please share any experience you had of getting sick and when you realized it

part of the reason im asking is i have been strugling for the past month with alot of troubling symptoms
delamo
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: are you aware when your getting sick?

Postby Sunnyg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi Delamo,
I get scared when I'm sick. I also ask friends and families advice about things when I think I might not be interpreting things "clearly". They give me insight through their love and support. I watch their body language, and while they never confront my delusional beliefs, they do look uncomfortable listening to me connect the dots with delusional thinking. I only tell people who I trust will tell me honestly what is up, and won't judge me too much.
Also, the diagnosis isn't really important. You won't know if it is here to stay until next year maybe five years from now. It is ok though. With treatment, support, and love some of us manage to move on and have positive careers, family, friends, and good lives even though we live with this illness. Keep the hope and try to see the light and positive in this hard time.
Sunny
"I trust that if I start to fall off the ladder of life again, others will pick me back up and put me back on."
-Sunnyg
Sunnyg
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (12)

Postby paintball » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 am

i think right before i get sick im aware to some extent that there is something going wrong . But some of the paranoia is so intense i lose the ability to assess myself because it feels so real that it almost never crosses my mind that it might just be paranoia.
paintball
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:21 pm

Postby loise » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi. i have been for the last two years with a treatment for episodes of psychosis.
now i get to see more clearly when i am beginning one.

like you say, sleeping is a big issue, if i sleep not enough, ...for me six hours of sleep is not enough, my ears begin to ring and i catch all kinds of sounds, and i feel irritated.

also my thoughts begin to repeat themselves, i think a lot in images, so the image repeats itself over and over.....

or the contrary.....like with a computer, i open many programs in my head instead of doing one thing at a time, and it comes a moment when i can not think anymore. i am stuck.!

i get anxious, nervous, i begin with physical signs that the stress is growing and triggering my psychotic episodes....even dogs notice it..... they bark at me more often, i hate it!!

there are many signs that tell me, stop, let go!, change this path....
but sometimes, or often i think, .....just a bit more...i just want to get this done...
and things get worst.

it think is a learning process....
but first step is a Good Good rest!!! good luck!
loise
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:21 am

Postby Phoenix1956 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:26 am

I have only had one psychotic episode. The lack of sleep was a HUGE indicator if I had only recognized it, which I did not because I don't sleep well anyway. I had been diagnosed with PTSD a year before and then in rapid succession 4 things happened that year later: an estrangement from my sister, my son told me he'd been molested by his step-grandmother, he had a heart attach and my 19 year old nephew fell while hiking 40 feet onto his head and was not expected to live. (He did) After my son's heart attach, #2 of the 4, I have a website that I arbitrarily designed in fantastic, crazy colors over a period of 48 non-stop hours. I didn't catch the signs, I thought I was so scared for my son! Crying a lot. No-one caught it. Then when #4, the news of my nephew came, I heard it, said OMG and that is all I remember for a week. When I came back, I slowly became paranoid, poring through phone records convinced that my husband was cheating on and on. I had my son convinced. No one suspected I was so fricking convinced myself, and I never saw the signs. I hope to G*d I would now, and also my family if it ever happened again. It was a nightmare.
*The Phoenix Rises*

How can you rise if you have not burned?
Hiba Fatima Ahmad
Phoenix1956
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:21 pm

Postby Justddrown » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:06 pm

No. I realize I was sick later. Wish it were a little different in that regard. Discipline I guess.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:21 pm

Return to Brief Psychotic Disorder