Our partner

HELP! Drug induced psychosis

Brief Psychotic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

HELP! Drug induced psychosis

Postby thefiance » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi,

Needing all the advice I can get.

Back in August my fiance was drugged with MDMA (apparently) by someone in his soccer team who thought it would be funny - it wasn't! My fiance has never done drugs before and fell into a 2 week long psychosis - paranoia, confusion, hearing voices, seeing things, super emotional... the lot!

He was put on an anti-psychotic and got better. It's been 6 weeks now and after a big night drinking last weekend (which he used to be able to do) he's gone back into a light psychosis again. There's no paranoia but he's definitely confused and finding it difficult to sleep, eat and function normally.

Has anyone seen this before? Will he always be like this?

I feel like our worlds are falling apart right before our eyes!

Please help!!
thefiance
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: HELP! Drug induced psychosis

Postby eterea107 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:20 am

I don't have personal experience and I'm not a doctor, but I've read personal accounts it can take months. Eating healthy, exercise are good. Doctor may be able to recommend supplements to take on top of the antipsychotic.

I think it's very likely temporary but not a drug to take again.
103 =)
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Re: HELP! Drug induced psychosis

Postby whiteeyed » Sat May 26, 2018 5:23 pm

From personal experience, this is what I recommend (for anyone else in this situation, the post I'm replying to is kind of old:)

- Your fiance should not touch alcohol or drugs (even weed!) for at least five months. This may sound drastic, but it is incredibly important for him not to mess with his brain as it slowly attempts to return to normality.
- If he is particularly paranoid about adjustable elements of his surroundings, adjust them. When I was psychotic I was terrified of my house at night, and there was no way for me to stay there without spiraling into protective delusion; something that made it difficult to embrace sanity. I stayed at various family member's houses instead, and this was very helpful for my rehabilitation.
- Even if your loved one's triggers seem irrational, do not call them crazy. They want to feel supported and understood by you, and the more you seem skeptical of their reality, the more likely they are to further isolate themselves and distrust you. Apart of most psychosis is the person in question's belief that they see or hear or understand something that other people do not, that they are specially targeted and alone. If you enter their world and pretend to see or hear or understand what your loved one does, this feeling of aloneness and distrust will dissipate. They will also be more honest with you and their psychiatrist as well. This is what is now being suggested for other delusional illnesses such as Alzheimers, and I believe it can be applied to people experiencing stress or drug-induced psychosis as well.
- Do not let him spend long periods of time alone. Time alone is what psychotic people often want the most, as they feel misunderstood or disconnected from everyday life. Unfortunately, every mental illness is exacerbated by aloneness. Get him involved in day-to-day activities and set up a schedule for him that ensures a lot of action and socialization. Something regimented with a consistent wake up time and a consistent bedtime, no matter how well they sleep.
- Adjust their diet so that they are eating as healthily as possible. There are many guides for managing psychosis through supplements and balanced meals online, so I will not describe this in great detail, but this is also essential.
- After being prescribed an antipsychotic, it is sometimes valuable to follow this up with an antidepressant. Certain people are more inclined to fall into psychotic patterns of thought, and it often is a sign of an underlying belief that life is terrifying, unfair, and unpredictable. Happy people are much less likely to begin to suspect that the government is running a game show that they are the oblivious star of. In my own life, antipsychotics helped return my brain to normal, but Prozac is what healed my perspective of reality.

Hopefully this is helpful to whomever may stumble upon this.
whiteeyed
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:53 pm

Return to Brief Psychotic Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post