Our partner

Psychosis caused by Lewy Body Dementia.

Brief Psychotic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Psychosis caused by Lewy Body Dementia.

Postby ornithine » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:59 am

I am reasonably confident that I have a pretty good understanding of the metabolic disorder underpinning my disease. Also, that this disorder has caused a pattern of P5CS and P5CR disorder symptoms in me and my father's family.

But I have been puzzling over what psychiatric disorder I suffer from. I am beginning to think that it is probably Lewy Body Dementia. This type of dementia usually comes before Parkinson's disease and could cause most of my psychiatric symptoms, including psychosis. Since I think I inherited my disorder from my gran who had dementia and then Parkinson's, I think this is likely. It also results in bad reactions to anti-psychotics, which I think I had. I got stiff muscles and muscle ache and brain fog after taking them.

So if you have a history of Parkinson's and/or dementia in your family, make sure you tell your doctor and ask them about Lewy Body Dementia.
ornithine
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychosis caused by Lewy Body Dementia.

Postby ashc » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Good information again. I enjoy reading your posts. What are the symptoms of Lewy Body Dementia?
"Come close for I am alone, but stay away for I fear intrusion."
ashc
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:26 pm

Postby SBBro » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Another doctor. :D

Have you tried lymphatic drainage?

-- Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:16 am --

Okay this is a neurological condition. You should post on longecity about it and start self experimenting.
2012 "just anxiety"
2013 inpatient 'suicidality, MDD etc
2014 "youve been diagnosed with everything under the sun"
BPD
Current meds: Zoloft 25mg
SBBro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:26 pm

Postby ornithine » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks for the messages.

Dementia is generally a disease that effects thinking and memory. Lewy Body Dementia includes both Parkinson's disease dementia and dementia with lewy bodies. Both of these can result in delusional beliefs/psychosis. My understanding is that the prognosis is poor in both cases. Surviving decades is not expected.

My paternal grandmother had persecutory delusions associated with dementia and Parkinson's. My father had jealous and persecutory delusions and memory problems and early onset symptoms of Parkinson's. My father's only sibling had persecutory delusions, but I am unsure what her other symptoms were. I have had jealous and persecutory delusions and memory problems and some very mild early onset symptoms of Parkinson's. Other family members have had delusional symptoms and memory problems. However, it is clear that we can live decades from the date of the first delusional symptoms which are the first major presentation of the disorder. Even so, I think it is the same disorder causing these symptoms and that it is dominantly inherited.

I have recently read a paper that says that psychosis can precede dementia and Parkinson's by decades, so this would fit with my opinion.
ornithine
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 am

Return to Brief Psychotic Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post