Our partner

Sleep Apnea- Central vs Obstructive [-tion?]

Breathing-Related Sleep Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Sleep Apnea- Central vs Obstructive [-tion?]

Postby NavySurya » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:59 am

[color=003366] I have been having sleep problems of various kinds for a very very long time. Lately I have had various problems affecting my life including: awaking in the morning feeling sick in general with a headache, naseaus, achey, and at times so dizzy [i think] that I have had to brace my self against the wall to orient myself; major cognitive problems- getting lost when going somewhere that I have been numerous times; feeling generally exhausted; ocasionally feeling just 'weird'.

I do have a neurologist and he has, at this point, referred me to a sleep center.

I have been told that my breathing has slowed or totally stopped at times [they weren't entirely sure which] in my sleep.
Sometimes, when I am awake, I notice that i randomly gasp as though I am 'catching up' on breathing.

None of this really came to my attention until a couple weeks ago when I was napping in the early afternoon and had a total of three times in less than an hour where I was pulled out of a dream, had to come fully awake, and conciously breathe.
Which was completely terrifying.

I am 23 and had my tonsils and adnoids out when I was nine.
I snore sometimes, but not terribly loudly or often. [I realize not everyone with apnea snores and vice versa]

Recently, and it SEEMS to coincide with my increasing sleep problems [though I don't know that it has anything to do with it. And it's a little silly. heh.] I have been salivating in my sleep, which I had never done before.

I was in a really bad car accident in March of this year and have had off and on problems of various types, usually dealing cognition and always effecting my sleep, since then.
I hit many areas of my head very very hard and remember having extreme pain in the back and bottom of my head for a long time.
[my balance was off, as was my general coordination and speech, and several other basic functions though they have returned. The dizziness in the morning concerns me]

Anyway- that's a background.
My general question, FINALLY-
Sound like sleep apnea may be a factor? [one of them, at least]
and is it perhaps central or mixed as opposed to obstructive/obstruction? [I can't quite remember right now which it is] I realize central apnea is unusual, but I am not sure if I fit obstruction apnea.

Also, I am having a hard time finding anything that agrees on anytype of treatment for central apnea. Some places say a CPAP is one option, some say it could make it worse. Some say klonopin may possibly help [which I can't take because I have a funny reaction to], and some say there is no treatment.

I am also worried, as my sleep seems to get worse and worse and don't have an appointment with the sleep center until february 7th, which is the earliest I could get.
I am keeping a sleep journal.

Sorry so long. I am concerned, though, and any information or experience would just make me feel a little better, even if it isn't necessarily a solution.

~navy~[/color]
NavySurya

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sleep Apnea- Central vs Obstructive [-tion?]

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:04 pm

[EDIT: This user was banned for attacking another user]

help you

Postby patri » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:15 am

There are good vitamins you can take to help you sleep and also teas'

Go to Natural Foods or Health Foods stores. That choice is much better that medications. Try new pillows every year or so. Tell me later
Good luck! :lol:
patri

Postby QueerKid » Wed May 24, 2006 12:50 am

Every person in my family has sleep apnea and they are all on cpap machines(those oxygen masks). what you have sounds to me like sleep apnea and if it is you can die from that so you should really ask your doctor about it.
QueerKid
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 12:26 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Asterisk » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:00 pm

How much of a difference would it make for either type if you tried allergy meds?

And I'm also sort of confused about the nasal cpap thing:

Nasalcpap

Is it supposed to be used for both and what is the difference between that and the other cpap?

I thought the nasal was without a mask but it seems like this has one.
Asterisk
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 12:26 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Breathing-Related Sleep Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post