Our partner

Intellectual Disability and BPD Testing

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Intellectual Disability and BPD Testing

Postby RomaRose » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:20 pm

Hello,

In the case of those with intellectual disability and borderline intellectual function, what is the best way to test for a personality disorder? Should it be done by a neuropsychologist? I would think this population would also need a neuropsychological exam and a doctor who looks into their history.
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I posted here because I know that some people with ID either have BPD or are misdiagnosed with it.

Thank you
RomaRose
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:01 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Intellectual Disability and BPD Testing

Postby Snaga » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:48 pm

Hello and welcome!

I'm not sure if you'll get a good answer for this, given that we're a peer support forum.

Just talking out of my ass, I find myself wondering if a person with an ID, could even be said to have a PD, if the traits are a result of the intellectual disability? I guess it would depend on whether their intellectual capacity falls within the 'normal' range despite having a mild ID?

But it seems reasonable that a neurologist might be more qualified with something that could have some biological, developmental basis.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:01 pm

Re: Intellectual Disability and BPD Testing

Postby Casper » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:22 am

I'm not a Psych., but I'll chime in with my 2¢.

The official answer is, it depends. Going by the official ID diagnosis (as per DSM-V), it looks like the IQ test is the primary standardized test used in criterion A; criteria B & C don't have required tests. Any C.Psych can administer that one, though it's more likely that neuropsychs will do it.

Where a neuropsych really shines is when you want to find out what part of your brain is causing the problem. They have a whole other battery of tests at their disposal that can help you to isolate a problem. This may help you be able to predict and plan more effectively for future events; it has for me.

Snaga:

As per the DSM-V, yes, you can be diagnosed with intellectual disability and other things as well. The APA even mentions a few common comorbidities, such as ADHD, Bipolar and MDD.
Casper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:01 pm

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post