Our partner

do bpd symptoms fade with time

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

do bpd symptoms fade with time

Postby jaus tail » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:17 am

i'm 29 now. had nervous breakdown at 23 and then lots of mistakes, few psychiatric visits... eventually a year and a half of therapy and now i think the symptoms have reduced.
the b/w thinking is still there. but the identity issues dont bother me as such. or maybe i'm getting too optimistic.
what are your experience/views on bpd symptoms as years pass by...
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: do bpd symptoms fade with time

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:00 am

Shrinks usually don't love working with BPD, but they do tend to claim that with effort and therapy and time, it has the best prognosis of all the personality disorders
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:38 pm

Postby jaus tail » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:47 am

my therapist has been very helpful. he was the college therapist. it took me some time to open up to him. like a year and half of therapy. he said therapy takes time n having the right therapist is also important.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby sickofbeinginvalid » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:43 pm

It depends on the person I think. I feel like a lot of people will continue to spiral and others get better with age. I feel like I’m going to be a victim of the former.
sickofbeinginvalid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:38 pm

Postby Remember Ronni » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:47 pm

This was quite an insightful video. And from what he says the prognosis is good. But you got to work on it. Get help. Get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JChwgwU ... Vk4puyf9fE

Not to put a downer on things but I'm 52 now and my BPD got worse, not better. Which is how I got the diagnosis at aged 50. But a lot of that was down to the events in my life. With my BPD symptoms I couldn''t cope with stuff. Had a bit of a mental breakdown.

So as someone above me said, it really does depend on the person and their own circumstances, events in their life. But I do think it's possible to make life easier and better for yourself. You need to really want it though.
Diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (BPD)
Remember Ronni
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:38 am

Postby OrbweaverLeads » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:04 am

I'm almost 20 years older than you and I have found that my symptoms have gotten worse with age. I also have a psychotic illness on top of BPD and have found that my psychotic symptoms have gotten worse with age.
I'm on anti-psychotic meds and they reduce my constant anxiety down from terror to extreme anxiety but don't reduce my psychotic symptoms. I've almost accepted that this is the quality of life I can achieve. I focus on my physical health instead and try to keep my body fit & healthy with lots of exercise and healthy eating.
OrbweaverLeads
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:38 am

Postby jaus tail » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:21 am

the anxiety is always there. at times its like i dont even know what it is to be non-bpd.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby OrbweaverLeads » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:38 am

jaus tail wrote:my therapist has been very helpful. he was the college therapist. it took me some time to open up to him. like a year and half of therapy. he said therapy takes time n having the right therapist is also important.

well done jaus tail, that's a great achievement. You should be proud of that.

I've seen lots of therapists and psychologists. It's always ended with months. Either they scream at me in frustration & I fire them. Or they're scared of me & my psychotic rage (even though I try to keep it contained) and they fire me. I'm not really capable of forming a healthy attachment to a therapist.

It sounds like you've formed a healthy relationship with the right therapist & will continue to get better.
OrbweaverLeads
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:38 am

Postby jaus tail » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:04 am

to be honest there were times when i got frustrated with the therapist (as i'm sure even the therapist must be fed up with me at times).
but he was the only therapist in college and plus it was free. so i was like might as well continue with it.

unfortunately college is over n i cannot see him now. i'll have to look for another one.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post