Our partner

Anyone have comorbid NPD or narcissistic traits?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Anyone have comorbid NPD or narcissistic traits?

Postby covertunsure » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:36 am

I don't have diagnosed BPD but I think I have traits. I also don't have diagnosed NPD but have more traits than I do BPD traits, I believe.

Anyway, I'm trying to better understand myself and what I might have. Does anyone here with BPD or BPD traits also have NPD or narcissistic traits? If so, how do the narcissistic traits manifest for you and how do they interplay with and affect the BPD traits?

covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:28 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Anyone have comorbid NPD or narcissistic traits?

Postby covertunsure » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:20 pm

No one...?
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Ubinix800 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:52 am

Hey covertunsure.

I saw you on the other thread asking about which disorder you may have, and honestly I'm sort of wondering the same.

Something I remember reading (and I'm not sure if this is 100% correct and feel free to correct) is that a lot of borderlines are narcissists, mainly vulnerable narcissists and along that spectrum, but, at the same time, you can't have NPD and BPD together. At the core of BPD is emotional dyregulation and major abandoned issues and it's probably one of those disorders where if you had it, you would know it, but traits? I'm not sure.

At the end of the day narcissism, not NPD, is a defense against low-self esteem and other feelings of inadequacy. So I guess really if you have unconscious low self-esteem/need for acceptance etc. etc. that could actually be classed as abandonment issues, which is why it could be confused with BPD.

Just some random thoughts from me, and yeah me personally I have traits, always felt like I was unstable and lacked self esteem deep down, but it's one of those things I can't accept and fully block out.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-2 ... 8368b18704
Dunno if this will be much use but it's something I found that may describe the whole thing better, high-functioning BPD is apparently very similar or even the same as NPD.

Hopefully this gets some more replies so we shall wait.
BDD and vulnerable narcissism/avpd traits.
Ubinix800
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Wantpeace » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:04 am

Hi, I have narcissistic traits. I am BPD but after the last abandonment I had I went cold inside my heart, for a long time. I became cruel with people who were attracted to me, and also would reject anyone I felt attracted to. It became instinctual and has been difficult to break through.

I do not trust people anymore, even though I am honest I still think people are full of crap. If I do open up, I become very afraid and distance myself from them. I did this with therapists and people wanting to be friends with me. I only feel comfortable with people who are emotional, like I am inside. They are the ones I have been letting my guard down a little bit with. Otherwise I can be aloof and distant with all the other people I deal with.

I try to show no emotion but underneath the exterior, I am on the verge of rage or huge disappointment. I do not know how people are going to react with me, which is why I hide my emotions.
Wantpeace
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby easyy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:59 pm

Wantpeace wrote:Hi, I have narcissistic traits. I am BPD but after the last abandonment I had I went cold inside my heart, for a long time. I became cruel with people who were attracted to me, and also would reject anyone I felt attracted to. It became instinctual and has been difficult to break through.

I do not trust people anymore, even though I am honest I still think people are full of crap. If I do open up, I become very afraid and distance myself from them. I did this with therapists and people wanting to be friends with me. I only feel comfortable with people who are emotional, like I am inside. They are the ones I have been letting my guard down a little bit with. Otherwise I can be aloof and distant with all the other people I deal with.

I try to show no emotion but underneath the exterior, I am on the verge of rage or huge disappointment. I do not know how people are going to react with me, which is why I hide my emotions.

It hurts to recognize myself in your post. It's a true lonely hell where we are responsible for.
easyy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:28 pm

Postby raininmybrain » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am

I would say it's really important to get a diagnosis from a good professional, otherwise it's way too easy to relate to various diagnoses when you read about them.
raininmybrain
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:28 pm

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post