Our partner

Filling the void with material posessions

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Filling the void with material posessions

Postby Noca » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:52 am

Does anyone else try to fill the chronic emptiness they feel with material posessions? I find I do, it leads to impulsive spending and hoarding. No matter what I do to fill the void, spending, sex, speeding, I just remain feeling empty inside. I think this desire to fill the void drives all my self destructive behavior rather than fears of abandonment(even though I have fears of abandonment).
Noca
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Filling the void with material posessions

Postby Brandon1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:30 pm

Noca wrote:Does anyone else try to fill the chronic emptiness they feel with material posessions?

Do you mean that you feel bored and under-stimulated a lot? That's how I feel and material possessions do help me cope.

Or do you mean that you feel a deep sense of sorrow and longing for something that's difficult to attain? I feel that too. :(

I find I do, it leads to impulsive spending and hoarding.

I'm not a hoarder, but I definitely have a problem when it comes to impulsive spending. I especially buy a lot of fast food and cannabis.

No matter what I do to fill the void, spending, sex, speeding, I just remain feeling empty inside. I think this desire to fill the void drives all my self destructive behavior rather than fears of abandonment(even though I have fears of abandonment).

I can relate to that as well.
Brandon1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Postby RamadanSteve » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:54 am

Noca wrote:Does anyone else try to fill the chronic emptiness they feel with material posessions? I find I do, it leads to impulsive spending and hoarding. No matter what I do to fill the void, spending, sex, speeding, I just remain feeling empty inside. I think this desire to fill the void drives all my self destructive behavior rather than fears of abandonment(even though I have fears of abandonment).

You should probably try to do something meaningful with your life instead of just pointless debauchery.
RamadanSteve
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby octopustentacles » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Broke now but if i had money I would spend it all on junk, ya. Alcohol and gaming mostly. But i cant drink anymore for various reasons. I quit smoking but now Im addicted to nicotine gum. :lol:
octopustentacles
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby KingPingX » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:50 pm

I think 98% of the general population does try to fill the void of a "normal life" with material possessions. Instead of a deep connection to friends, family and nature there are empty 9 to 5 jobs and daily routines that is lacking a lot of emotional input.

So calm down. Your life is empty as ours.
KingPingX
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 am

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post