Our partner

BPD vs HPD: "Attention Seeking" On Social Media

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

BPD vs HPD: "Attention Seeking" On Social Media

Postby xXDarkStarXx » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:14 am

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this post comes off as offensive and I'm not meaning for it to be. I am no doctor but to me, it seems like some BPD people could easily be misdiagnosed and truly be HPD. I was diagnosed with BPD but I cannot relate to most of the Borderlines on social media because of strong emphasis put on the attention seeking "symptom."

I understand that "attention seeking" is a BPD trait but how come when it comes to a lot of people on Twitter and Facebook that "attention seeking" seems to be their main trait? If that is the case, you might as well jus tcall them HPD since that is the main trait of those. For me, my BPD is about being left and intense emotions..not seeking attention although I do seek it from guys I have crushes on and at times when I am feeling severely depressed..but I don't seek it through my looks.

For example: Someone will say their boss yelled at them and they're having a bad day and they will say, "Cheer me up?" then proceed to post a selfie. Then people will be in the comments telling them they are gorgeous and etc.

I find it annoying and I don't understand this kind of behavior because if you had a bad day due to someone screaming at you, wouldn't it cheer you up if they told you something to help you deal with criticism or being yelled at? But instead the comments that actually talk about that get ignored while the ones praising their looks get "likes" and "loves."

It would be more appropriate if they just posted the selfie and went on their merry way but instead they use their "Depression" to post attention seeking and materialistic selfies every chance they get. If they were to call themselves HPD, I would get it. If they would even just say they wanted praise for their looks fine. It's the pretending that irritates me.

Second of all, on Twitter these women will have billions of likes on every selfie and thousands of followers and still post endless selfies saying, "I'm so ugly." I truly dislike the way I look so I barely post selfies on Twitter and when I do, I delete them immediately. But these chicks who claim to have BPD will post hundreds of selfies and claim they hate them all but never return to delte them. Those selfies will have thousands of likes and they will continue to say they hate the way they look. It just seems like they actually love the way they look and that they want praise for it. It's annnoying. The dishonesty is.

Then because I have BPD and I often am sensitive to the superficiality in the world and materailistic society, I see these same women complaining about the same thing. Yet, they seem to turn their BPD diagnosis into an aesthetic. So, they aren't helping matters, any. They sit on social media thinking their BPD traits are cute or speaking as if they are GLAD to have BPD. Some of them even have BPD in their usersnames but using it as an aesthetic. I can't help but wonder if they are actually HPD. I get both overlap but if attention seeking is your main trait you might as well just say HPD.

It's already bad enough we have a stigma of wanting attention when we say we are feeling severely Depressed. We don't need women with the wrong diagnosis or someone faking mental illness for attention because it makes things harder for those who are truly struggling.

Then when you bring up valid points to these women the first thing they say is, "ATTENTION SEEKING IS A SYMPTOM OF BPD." -- Yeah, okay. I know but it seems to be YOUR MAIN TRAIT and it seems to not have a switch "off." I just think because a lot of people don't know much about HPD they get misdiagnosed.

My older sister has HPD and there is a clear difference between her and I. She is constantly seeking attention and if the attention is not on her, she fakes being suicidal or fakes taking pills. She says vulgar things and etc for attention and stuff. She is codependent but its not the same as having bandonment issues. It's still all about her and what she does for someone else. I just am a little frustrated with this.
Dxs: BPD
Agoraphobia
Schizaffective,Bipolar Type
Bipolar Disorder, NOS
--- No Meds --
xXDarkStarXx
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: BPD vs HPD: "Attention Seeking" On Social Media

Postby xXDarkStarXx » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Hey if you are reading this, please just ignore. I woke up this morning in a raging fit..and though my thoughts are the same I would not have made the choice to publish them had I been in a decent mood so I'm sorry.
Agoraphobia
Bipolar Disorder, NOS
--- No Meds --
xXDarkStarXx
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby sickofbeinginvalid » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:08 am

I know you asked for no replies, but I figured I could offer some insight from personal experience and I also find this topic interesting.

You have to understand first and foremost, co-morbidity exists. Someone can have BPD and HPD or they can have BPD with HPD traits and vice versa...

From my own experience, social media is a huge outlet for my attention seeking. However, it’s not the intentional seductive type you are describing. I go on a lot of suicidal rants, and rages on my social media posts frequently. In my head at the time, I do it because I want people to understand my pain. I want people to see my suffering. So in that sense it’s a bit attention-seeking because I am trying to garner attention to have that inner pain soothed.

Borderlines are also seductive like HPD’s. The only difference is that HPD’s main goal is attention. They are simple and don’t necessarily desire close relationships. A Borderlines needs and desires run deeper than that, where they tend to have a deep fear of abandonment and want enmeshment. That being said, Borderlines May use any tool they can to garner attention to avoid abandonment and being alone. Some use sex appeal which could be in the form of social media posts. In this case, it is less about the behavior and more about the need when differentiating the disorders.
sickofbeinginvalid
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby xXDarkStarXx » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:18 am

sickofbeinginvalid wrote:I know you asked for no replies, but I figured I could offer some insight from personal experience and I also find this topic interesting.

You have to understand first and foremost, co-morbidity exists. Someone can have BPD and HPD or they can have BPD with HPD traits and vice versa...

From my own experience, social media is a huge outlet for my attention seeking. However, it’s not the intentional seductive type you are describing. I go on a lot of suicidal rants, and rages on my social media posts frequently. In my head at the time, I do it because I want people to understand my pain. I want people to see my suffering. So in that sense it’s a bit attention-seeking because I am trying to garner attention to have that inner pain soothed.

Borderlines are also seductive like HPD’s. The only difference is that HPD’s main goal is attention. They are simple and don’t necessarily desire close relationships. A Borderlines needs and desires run deeper than that, where they tend to have a deep fear of abandonment and want enmeshment. That being said, Borderlines May use any tool they can to garner attention to avoid abandonment and being alone. Some use sex appeal which could be in the form of social media posts. In this case, it is less about the behavior and more about the need when differentiating the disorders.

Thanks for your post. In your case, I expect that type of attention seeking from a Borderline... I know there are a wide range of ways to seek attention ..but it just so happens with certain women it seems like it is always about their looks. Why is that? I mean most of these women aren't being seductive per se, they are just seeking to get thousands of likes from random strangers just like celebrities do. It seems like it's for the sake of attention and that's it. I've seen other bpd women use their seduction to get a man's attention so they would not be lonely.

It is not the attention seeking that bothers me but the lying. To be fair borderlines aren't the only ones who do that..loads of celebrities do something similar.

With all that said...you said some can have traits of both..well I am guessing these specific women are showing the hpd traits maybe..

For those of us with issues with the superficiality of society these people make things worse. .
Agoraphobia
Bipolar Disorder, NOS
--- No Meds --
xXDarkStarXx
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles