Our partner

Was getting it disgnoised a benefit for you or not?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Was getting it disgnoised a benefit for you or not?

Postby ChasingTheStars » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi, I definitely have bpd, I was just wondering if getting diagnosed is any benefit? I have read online that there is a lot of stigma even with health care professionals. I was interested to know if people have experienced this type of stigma? I’m aware I have it, so would having a diagnosis make you feel worst? Or maybe it makes people feel better?
ChasingTheStars
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Was getting it disgnoised a benefit for you or not?

Postby RamadanSteve » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:32 am

Being diagnosed was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I would probably be homeless, still an addict, a drug ddealer, or locked up otherwise. Being diagnosed let me know what there is I can work on. As for the stigma, I've told my close friends and they support me because I've known them for over a decade (some of them), it's not something I would tell anyone though and it's not like I have to anyway. People are stupid and think you're going to shoot up a mall or some $#%^ if you have bpd.
RamadanSteve
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:08 am

Re: Was getting it disgnoised a benefit for you or not?

Postby rainbow_sprinkles » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:54 pm

it was absolutely a benefit because it allowed me to access appropriate treatment. I personally have not experienced much stigma from professionals, and when I have, I've just educated them myself. the stigma issue is slowly getting better, as more and more younger professionals who are receiving up to date, accurate information through their educations enter the field, and more of the older professionals who were taught incorrect, stigmatizing information retire.

in my personal life, people usually either know correct information about it (psych students, for example), or, more often, have never even heard of it, in which case I can guide them towards the positive books and websites so that they don't get bad information.
rainbow_sprinkles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:08 am

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum