Our partner

Feeling Like the bad guy whenever you express.

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, lilyfairy

Feeling Like the bad guy whenever you express.

Postby Hemidog » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:23 am

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how others with BPD, cope with expressing themselves to their family or partner. Whenever I try to let them know that I’m finding something they’ve done distressing or hurtful I always get treated like I’m a bomb about to go off. It’s like they automatically act like it’s my mental illness acting up and not just myself addressing an issue. I try and say that I do not feel like it is my BPD, however it always ends the same because I have this disorder they feel that they don’t need to take me seriously as it will blow over or they just run for cover making me feel isolated.
Does anyone have any tips on how to express their objection to others negative behaviour, with them truly listening.
It just seems to me that I can never be myself and they all look at me like I’m a crazy person with a million heads. I don’t think I’m aggressive or out of control, but then again I am the mentally ill one.
I just feel like I’m never capable of letting others know that I am hurt by their actions not just having a breakdown.
If anyone else has this experience or has any advice I would love to hear it, I’m 29 and been living with this for a years I’m tired of feeling like I’m a horrible person.

Thank you Hemidog.
Hemidog
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Feeling Like the bad guy whenever you express.

Postby Pairou » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:11 am

I've had many situations where I'm feeling some type of way and I'm told I'm just being BPD or Bipolar and that I'll feel better once I (take my meds, take a nap, analyze my disorder, etc).

It's frustrating but I've learned how to calmly express myself because of it.
Pairou
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:40 am

Re: Feeling Like the bad guy whenever you express.

Postby RamadanSteve » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:32 pm

I would try to post a reply, but I don't know how to answer your question in a substantive way without either asking multiple questions myself or writing a huge wall of text. However, please feel free to DM me and I can talk to you and try to help you there. I'm no expert and I'm definitely not perfect but I think I might be able to offer you some helpful insight. I'll say this though, people think of BPD being a mental illness like Bipolar or Schizophrenia where the illness is external from the person's base personality, and they don't realize that BPD is just a description of one's personality that is on the outskirts of what society considers "normal". There's a lot of diamonds in the rough that have personality disorders and if you learn to deal with yours, you might just be one of them.
RamadanSteve
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:40 am

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post